Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I capture data leaving a network

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Datura

Datura

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:51 PM

How can I capture data leaving a small (12 user) peer to peer network? I want to see if one of the computers, without having to check each one, has a virus that is sending out data to its control computer or anywhere else. Anyone know how I can accompish this. I am familiar with wireshark. Does it have the feature I'm looking for?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:25 AM

How will you know the difference between what the virus is sending out and what is normal traffic? If you suspect one PC is infected your best bet it to get them all scanned. There are viruses out now that can infect other PCs on the network.

If you know what you are looking for Wireshark will show it to you, its job is capturing packets and filtering that info for you. But if you are asking if it has a "Hey this is a packet from a virus" I don't think it does.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users