Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"End Program O"

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 blueczar

blueczar

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:32 AM

I am getting this error message when I go to shut down the computer "End Program O" so I have to click the 'End Now' button.

I've been looking around & I think it relates to Outlook Express somehow.. I haven't been able to start outlook express.

It's the same problem as described in this forum http://forums.spywareinfo.com/lofiversion/....php/t1472.html but I didn't know if I should try doing that stuff the person there said, just thought I'd ask someone here first, is it spyware or a virus or something else??

Also maybe related; recently I've been starting my computer and Checksum has been doing these checks where its saying stuff like 'deleting invalid segment'. I ran Norton Anti virus, Spyware doctor and Spyhunter, but none of them said there was anything wrong with the system??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,268 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 11:17 AM

Have you been shutting down your computer normally? Or just turning it off because its hanging? Usually those chkdsk errors that you see in the beginning are caused by your computer not being turned off in a clean way or a hard drive problem.

What happens if you start your computer, dont start anything at all (including outlook express), then shut it down again. Does it shutdown properly or do you get the End task? Now start your computer and start OE, then try shuttin it down. Do you get the end task now?

#3 blueczar

blueczar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 08:26 PM

I'm pretty sure I don't get the O thing unless I start outlook express. I haven't opened outlook express since and I haven't had the problem with the O. thanks.. oh and I have been shutting it down normally, except I had to click End Now to end the O program.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,268 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2005 - 04:00 PM

Can you do the test above real quick to make sure?

#5 blueczar

blueczar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:58 AM

thanks for replying, I did the test but for some reason the problems gone completely now, I didn't do anything really, just not getting the Program O anymore. Well I'm confused.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,268 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2005 - 11:01 AM

Strange...let us know if it continues. Did you update anything? Software, hardware, etc?

#7 blueczar

blueczar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:26 PM

I don't think I did... but it actually gave me the 'end program O' message last night while I was busy with an entirely new problem to do with IE not getting through to sites that I just made another thread about. :thumbsup:

#8 tmgolden1

tmgolden1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:45 AM

Don't expect the problem to go away that easy, I have had this problem from when I first got my computer over a year ago. The computer runs great, but 1 out of every 3 times I shut down my computer there it is, "End Program - O"

It truly has me dumfounded, I am an advanced computer user, I have run all kinds of system checks to no avail. It's not a virus, worm or Trojan, that is the only thing I am sure of about program "O".

#9 Stephen Doggette

Stephen Doggette

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:14 AM

Hello. I have been experiencing receiving this message on both my laptop at work and at home. Here are my SUSPICIONS as this last time I selected to "Cancel" (or whatever the option was) and not continue. I received a message regarding FolderSync and Windows. I hit cancel again and received a message saying: Do you want to abort the current download? Could it be possible that I happened to be powering down when the automatic (scheduled) process that checks for new mail on the server is running and it gets caught in the shutdown process? I have the settings on both my laptops checking quite frequently. Your thoughts?

#10 rpseeley

rpseeley

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:19 PM

Too bad nobody has added to this thread. I've been fighting this OE unresponsive problem (resulting in the 'End Program O' thing if OE isn't exited properly) for like 6 months now. I've given up on it so I have to reboot whenever it occurs. What a bummer! If anyone ever determines a solution to this problem I'd sure appreciate you posting it here.
The gut feeling I have about it is that occasionally OE tries to do something that requires a certain service that I've disabled and then just sits there because the service isn't running. I haven't a clue what that service would be though. Does anybody know what services are required by Outlook Express? (Just a shot in the dark)

#11 whobody

whobody

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:40 PM

Almost 2 years since that last post. I'd like to ask if any of you have gmail or another account iMapped though Outlook Express? Mine has just started "End Program O" and I have recently added iMap from my gmail account. I remember this happened a year ago when I also had an iMapped account.

Any ideas?

whobody

#12 gramme

gramme

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:03 PM

Hi,
I am having this same problem end program O when I go to shut down. It doesn't happen all the time but often enough to disturb me. I have done a search on google and found this thread...looks like I am not the only one having this problem. I ran a malware scan yesterday and thought that would have cleared up the problem but tonight I went to restart and it came up.

I haven't noticed if it has anything to do with Outlook express but I will take notice.
If anyone finds out anything please post here. If I find out anything I will post it here.
Thanks
Donna in FL aka (also known as) gramme

#13 Aussie Chris

Aussie Chris

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:33 AM

When this problem occurs with Windows XP SP3, try the following tips from various forums and users (that I’ve accumulated to resolve the issue myself). I offer my thanks to those that provided the information and apologise that I no longer have the information to give them credit where due now.

The registry compact check count increases until it reaches 100 at which point the pop up appears requesting that you compact. The steps below are reported to solve the compact request pop up window issue. The problem with “Program O” hanging at power down relates to OE also and is likely related, I haven’t yet tested this enough however if you don’t select “end now” it simply shuts itself down more slowly in the end anyway. It has also been reported that the interaction between Windows Indexing (Seacrh) and OE is what causes "Program O" to sometimes jam up and that this is occurring during PC operation but only being seen at power down when the program tries to close fully. I am yet to locate clear evidence of this but it may also be resolved through the following actions if accurate.

Some useful information:

Desktop search 4.0 indexes OE6 every 15 minutes by default, so after 25 hours of your computer being powered on the compact check count reaches 100 (each OE starting up also counts as 1 more also). The value does not reset when you power down so the count is cumulative over multiple computer sessions. When you select “yes” to compact the folders this does rest the counter.

For anyone interested in greater specifics, one XP user reported that “RegMon tells me that the process doing the constant update to the reg key is
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe
which I believe is part of Windows Desktop Search”.

It appears that the same problem is also caused (or enhanced) by some third party programs that also add to the compact check count tally. It appears that these programs access certain OE files as part of their standard operation and in doing so affect the count. Nero has been reported to do so by a number of users in different forums.

There are various ways to approach this:

Remove OE from being indexed

1. Right click the Desktop Search icon in the system tray (it looks like a magnifying glass, “windows indexing”)

2. Click on windows search options

3. Highlight Outlook Express

4. Remove it from being indexed.

This seems to fix the problem for most people although a few have advised that it occurs still but much less often. This may be because they are running something like Nero that is still adding to the count but without Desktop Search (Indexing) adding to the count every 15 minutes, it occurs much more slowly.

Turn Off Windows Search completely if you don’t use it.

Go to Start and select Run
Type msconfig.exe and click OK
Click on the Start-up tab and uncheck Windows Desktop Search
Restart the computer.

Deny access to OE to other programs.

For the lighter versions of Windows (such as HOME) you may need to perform this step in SAFE mode.

1. Open Control Panel
2. Open 'Add or Remove Programs'
3. Select the 'Set Program Access and Defaults' option from the foot of the left column
4. Ensure Custom is selected and click on the double downward facing chevrons to reveal the available options
5. Look at the section which is labelled as 'Choose a default Email Program :'
6. Deselect the tick to the right of the 'Outlook Express' radio button labelled as 'Enable Access to this program' to prevent PROGRAM ACCESS to the software or its components.

I hope that this helps at least some of you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users