Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot fail issues

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gene.shallot

gene.shallot

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:26 PM

So i recently had my computer give me the "blue screen of death" and decided to reinstall windows xp. After doing so, and installing various updates, i kept getting error messages and when i tried to boot without the CD i would give me the "boot fail" screen and i would have to instert the disk. I reinstalled windows, but it still fails to boot without the CD, but the error messages are all gone. This computer was built by a good friend, and wasnt purchased from a store but i am sure everything inside is seated correctly. I have two hard drives "c:" and "d:". "c:" is the one with the OS on it, and d is where everything else goes. right now, i am installing service pack 3, and i hope that solves the problem. SOMEONE HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:18 PM

What is the sequence for booting in bios?

Obviously it has the CD drive as the drive to boot from first, but what do you have listed after that?

#3 gene.shallot

gene.shallot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:14 PM

Yeah, the first one is the CD and the second is "Hard Drive"

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:37 PM

It should show C drive as the next boot option. Since you have more than one hard drive, if it only says hard drive, it might not be trying to boot from the C drive. See if you can change it to say C

#5 gene.shallot

gene.shallot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:11 PM

here are some pictures of what i have in BIOS, the ST380013a is C: with the OS on in and the other is the D:. the other pictures are just to make sure i am correct in what i have.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:09 PM

I could be wrong but I think you need to have the boot drive set as master, not slave. If I am correct in that, then that would be the problem as your C drive appears to be set as slave, not master.

#7 gene.shallot

gene.shallot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:29 PM

Ok, just so you know these drives have been working together before the problem occoured. To change between "master" and "slave" the ehow.com guide says I have to remove them and do something. Can you direct me to a guide that shows how I could do it, or is the ehow.com guide the best one?

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:53 PM

I'm sorry, I don't know of one. Also, like I said, I could be wrong about that, especially since they were working correctly before. It could be that since they appear to be sata drives that the master/slave relationship is of no consequence. I am confused by the DVD drive appearing to be the drive that the hard drive is slaved to, so maybe I am just all wrong in my thinking. If so, I am sorry.

Hopefully someone who knows more about this will pop in soon and help you out.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:49 AM

When I look at the first graphic, I see that you have the optical drive as the Master, seemingly connected on the same cable as the boot hard drive. If this is so, it needs to be reversed. Theoretically, it should make no difference...if you have a motherboard with only 1 IDE connector and a cable that supports independency of both drives (as I have)...but I would change it, anyway.

The hard drive should be on the end connector, with the optical drive on the middle...if they are on the same cable.

The second graphic doesn't matter, the order really isn't important. I set the hard drive as the first boot device, with the optical drive as the second...because the only time I will ever boot with the optical (after my initial install of XP)...is if I have problems (then I just change it until I resolve whatever the problem is). Many prefer to have the optical as the first boot device.

Your third graphic reflects a SATA drive as the first boot device. You need to double-click on each of those entries...and make the PATA drive (the Seagate drive) your first bootable hard drive. There's really no need to assert a second, if you don't have Windows installed on a second drive.

You have a Phoenix-Award BIOS, same as I have on this system.

Once you make the change for boot drives...and save the changes made (F10)...the system should reboot and go into XP correctly.

Your system would not boot without the CD...because you had the optical drive set up as the first boot device. It could not boot from the correct hard drive...because you had the SATA drive (which contains no O/S) as the first hard drive to boot from.

Louis

#10 gene.shallot

gene.shallot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:03 PM

THAT FIXED IT! :thumbsup: thank you!

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:57 AM

Well done, you did the work...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users