Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple HDD issues (long)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sickness_smb

sickness_smb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:15 PM

Hi all,

I'm sure as you can tell I am new around here. Currently, I am a full time student pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science 2nd year in. Over the last week my laptop has had some issues that seemed like easy fixes, but have quickly compounded. About a week ago I upgraded the RAM in my Toshiba Laptop P25-S520 from 2x256 to 2x1Gb. I did re-swap the RAM just to make sure the new was not faulty. After the swap it booted just fine. I shut the machine down, and rebooted it the following morning. It got hung on the TOSHIBA screen before Windows XP Home Edition loads. I gave it a cntrl+alt+del to reboot, again it got hung on the Toshiba screen and again I cntrl+alt+del to reboot. This time a "Disk read error cntrl+alt+del to reboot" message comes up. Do that four or five times then stick the Windows XP Installation disk in and boot the the disk. My plan was to get the the Recovery Console, then to the command prompt and work from there. When I hit "r" I got "Setup does not detect a HDD" or something similar to that. I reboot and enter BIOS. BIOS confirms that it also does not see a HDD. I saw this thread pinned and I think it can help except I cannot identify the maker of my HDD.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

I cross referenced all the numbers on the HDD on Google, but didn't get any matches. Toshiba's support page mentions nothing about the manufacturer of the drive. I do not have access to a floppy drive, no access to cmd prompt, all I can do is get to the BIOS screen. I think bootdisk.com could be helpful but I don't know if I can use any of the material if all I can do is access BIOS. Can anyone help me ID my hard drive and help me solve my HDD issue?

Cliffnotes:

Computer worked good before RAM swap
Computer worked good after RAM swap for a couple hours
Got a "Disk read error"
BIOS does not detect HDD

Toshiba P25-S520

Edited by sickness_smb, 26 October 2009 - 10:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:17 AM

Hi:).

You actually looked at the hard drive? I've never seen a hard drive without a label from the manufacturer...indicating pertinent info about the drive. I believe those labels are required as part of compliance with product standards.

Worth looking at, http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/48/compu...ing-hdd-617810/.

Seems that Toshiba does everything it can...to keep its service/repair personnel gainfully employed :thumbsup:...user fixes don't seem to be allowed/encouraged.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users