Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folder Wont Delete

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisMN

ChrisMN

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:23 PM

I am trying to delete a folder that was originally created as a backup when my system crashed last week and I had to use PCAngel/Emachines restore function to redo windows. I removed EVERYTHING I needed from the folder and restored them to their original locations(basically My Documents, and Program Files, NO SYSTEM STUFF..)

There is absolutely nothing in the folder(no hidden items as well, I've checked) nor its subfolders.

If this helps..

C:\Old Backup\Documents and Settings\All Users

The error I get when I try to delete the folder is this:

" Cannot delete lpt3. This folder was created by Flash_Disinfector: Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct file path and name. "

Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance!

ChrisMN

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:32 PM

This might be of some help:

http://www.jamiiforums.com/technology-and-...inf-folder.html
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:39 PM

That did not resolve the problem. I am still getting the same error message. I don't know why it wont delete. It is a folder with 2 completely empty sub-folders.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:54 PM

What folder is this lpt3 file located in?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:59 PM

I don't know how I missed it when I checked for hidden files and folders before. But I just checked again. These are the subfolders that WILL NOT DELETE. ("Application Data" and its subfolders are hidden folder/files.)

C:\Old Backup\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\SRTSP

When I try to open up OR delete "SrtETmp" I get this message "C:\Old Backup\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\SRTSP\SrtETmp is not accessible. Access is denied."

and also in the same folder(C:\Old Backup\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\SRTSP ) is "Quarantine".

When I try to open up OR delete "Quarantine" I get this message "C:\Old Backup\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\SRTSP\Quarantine is not accessible. Access is denied."

Again, thanks in advance to all who help.

FYI: These files are obviously part of Symantec's Norton Internet Security Suite that I use. But are merely just remnants of my backup from last weeks system crash are not needed!

THANK YOU!!!!!!

#6 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:01 PM

lpt3 successfully ended up in recycle bin and is gone. But I am still getting the message "Cannot delete lpt3. This folder was created by Flash_Disinfector: Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct file path and name. " when I simply try to delete "Old Backup" from program files.

I'm guessing that when I did use Flash Disinfector, somehow part of the program ended up in my Norton Quarantine? Maybe, I don't know....

Edited by ChrisMN, 26 October 2009 - 11:02 PM.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:05 PM

You might need to take ownership of those folders before you can delete them:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...p;Product=winxp

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:58 PM

At the link provided...(support.microsoft.com)

"

How to take ownership of a folder

You must have ownership of a protected folder in order to access it. If another user has restricted access and you are the computer administrator, you can access the folder by taking ownership.

To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:

1: Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

2: Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).

3: Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

4: In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

5: Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.

6: Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

"

In step two. There is no security tab. The only available tabs are General, Sharing and Customize.

Edit: Also, I am logged in as the system Administrator.

Edited by ChrisMN, 27 October 2009 - 12:01 AM.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:01 AM

1. Launch Windows Explorer or My Computer.
2. Click on the Tools at the menu bar, then click on Folder Options.
3. Click on View tab.
4. In the Advanced Settings section at the bottom of the list, uncheck and unselect (clear the tick) on the “Use simple file sharing (Recommended)” check box.
5. Click OK.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:26 AM

“Use simple file sharing (Recommended)” check box is not there. The only one with "(Reccomended)" is "Hide protected operating system files (Reccemended)"

Wait, let me try in Safe Mode... drrrrr..

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:28 AM

You could try this instead:

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:51 AM

The Norton files are gone now. Thanks.

"C:\Old Backup" Still will not delete(All of its subfolders are now gone and ther are NONE hidden items.) I just need to delete one simple folder without any subfolders or hidden items "C:\Old Backup" I still get the message " Cannot delete lpt3. This folder was created by Flash_Disinfector: Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct file path and name. "

I have run the tool provided from Budapest in jamiiforums.com and the folder still will not delete.

Thanks Budapest for all of your help.

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:04 AM

You need to find where this lpt3 file is lurking.

Make sure you unhide protected operating system files.

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:32 AM

After un-hiding protected OS files I opened "C:\Old Backup" and there are numerous entries and folders.

Heres a screenshot of the items - Screenshot

In the folder "autorun.inf" lays the elusive lpt3 file and will not delete still. Although now that I have found the file, could I use Malwarebytes FILEAssassin to delete it?

Furthermore, now I am worried that deleting all of the other things that are now showing will disrupt the system since these are considered as "protected operating system files".

The folder was just a backup after using the system recovery utility provided with the manufacturer so I don't know if I need them or not.

Thanks

Edited by ChrisMN, 27 October 2009 - 01:34 AM.

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:37 AM

If it is just a backup it won't affect the operating system.

Trying FILEAssassin is a good idea I think.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users