Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot after virus alert.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pealow

pealow

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:22 PM

Okay I am using my mom's computer because I cannot boot mine.. The other night Avira alerted me to a virus, I ran a scan, deleted the virus and restarted the computer. Upon restart I received the BSOD. I tried safe mode and it runs a bunch of commands and then stops. Nothing more. I tried going into recovery console but don't know what command to type in. It says drive C and press enter to exit recovery console. Can this machine be saved???? Please help?

I tried to do a repair install off of the XP cd but it mentions something about which partition do I want I enter C and it says only 1 OS can be installed.

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:30 PM

Type this command in the Recovery Console:

chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 pealow

pealow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:34 AM

I ran chkdsk and after about 30 minutes it finished but I don't think it found anything wrong. I still can't boot and get the BSOD. In safe mode it runs a bunch of drivers and then stops.
Is my computer gone?

Mike

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:51 PM

Try a repair install.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 pealow

pealow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:00 PM

I tried this and I never get the screen that say repair. I only get 3 partitions and it asks me which one to use. I pick partition C and it says there is already an operating system on this partition. It gives me the option to continue the install but warns that the computer could be damaged or the OS will not run. Getting desperate.

Mike

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:14 PM

Sounds to me as if you are using restore/recovery CDs...to attempt a repair.

Those instructions were meant to cover situations where users have a MS Genuine Windows CD that reflects the same SPs as those installed on the system.

Louis

#7 pealow

pealow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:44 PM

I'm using my mom's XP CD that came with her computer. I had XP also but cannot find my disk that came with it. Anything else I can do?????

Mike

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:55 PM

Here are some other commands you can try in the Recovery Console:

bootcfg /rebuild completely re-creates the Boot.ini file. The user must confirm each step.

fixboot writes a new partition boot sector to the system partition.

fixmbr repairs the master boot record of the boot disk

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users