Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install Win 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mileskova

mileskova

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:38 PM

I've managed to install Win 7 successfully on my laptop but I have another copy I wan't to install on my main computer but can't.

Trouble is the computer won't boot from the DVD and I need to do it this way in order to format the HD.

The bios boot order lists the order as:

1. 1st DVD drive
2. 2nd DVD drive
3. Removable device

I can see the DVD drives indicator lights flashing on start up so they are getting the signal OK.

There is no mention of the HDD in the boot order and I am wondering if this is significant.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheJoker

TheJoker

• Security Colleague
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:04 PM

You need to change your boot order to include the hard disk drive you intend to install it on as a boot device. If you don't, once you do get the installation to boot from the DVD, once the install process starts it would never complete because the system will need to restart to continue the process and you don't have the hard disk listed as a boot device.

#3 mileskova

mileskova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:16 AM

How do I get the HD to show up in the BIOS boot order when it isn't listed there.

#4 mileskova

mileskova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:29 AM

OK problem solved.

In the BIOS set up I disabled quick boot and on start up it recognised my HD.

So far everything is good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users