Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD-R and DVD-R drives not being detected...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DJRSXS

DJRSXS

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:58 PM

Well, I had a problem about a week ago with one of my computers that doesn't have a working CD-R, so I took one out of my other computer and put it in there to solve the problem via Recovery Console. So I fixed it, and then went to put the working CD-R back into my other computer. Now I hooked it up exactly how I took it out, I've even double/triple checked, and my CD drives are nowhere to be found.

They are not in My Computer, Not in the Device Manager, nor in Disk Management. It's like they vanished off my computer when I know that they are plugged in correctly and should be working fine. I tried system restore, and running REGEDIT and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Class \ (4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318)
and deleting the upper and lower filters, tried something from Microsoft as well that failed.

I didn't change any of the settings, pins or connectors so I don't understand why it won't hook back up, and for that matter why my other drive doesn't work either. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:05 PM

Try uninstalling the IDE controller that relates to your CD drive and then reboot the computer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 DJRSXS

DJRSXS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:44 AM

bump for still not working, I tried what you said Budapest...still nothing.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:52 PM

Try unplugging and replugging the cables to ensure that they are all seated correctly.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 DJRSXS

DJRSXS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:05 PM

Try unplugging and replugging the cables to ensure that they are all seated correctly.

Tried this at least 5 times. Anybody else have any ideas at all that I could try?

#6 DJRSXS

DJRSXS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:28 PM

Awesome, I see they moved my post to somewhere it will never get solved...way to go mods :thumbsup:

:flowers: jerks

#7 DJRSXS

DJRSXS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:00 AM

bump....still have this problem and can't seem to solve it :thumbsup:

#8 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:39 AM

did you change it to slave/master ? ? ?

also make sure the power connector is in good

#9 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:28 AM

Awesome, I see they moved my post to somewhere it will never get solved...way to go mods :thumbsup:

Huh. :trumpet:

bump....still have this problem and can't seem to solve it :inlove:

To be honest DJRSXS with your attitude your lucky to still be a member on this board.

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:45 PM

Oooh, sorry about that. I'll issue you a refund lickety-split!

#11 cotesy

cotesy

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:58 PM

Ok theres a known fault for this and it involves a registry fix.

I downloaded a file for this sometime ago for a clients laptop, which I've added to here.

Open the zip and read the text file. Its not my work - just something that worked for me.

Hope it works for you,

Cheers ;)

Attached Files

#12 DJRSXS

DJRSXS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

:woot: jerks

Huh. :cool:

bump....still have this problem and can't seem to solve it :(

To be honest DJRSXS with your attitude your lucky to still be a member on this board.

Awesome, I see they moved my post to somewhere it will never get solved...way to go mods :flowers:

:huh: jerks

Oooh, sorry about that. I'll issue you a refund lickety-split!

Hey thanks for all that great info guys :trumpet: :inlove: :cool: I'm impressed you know how to look up a user name on youtube, no wonder you're a mod. Would you mind refraining from posting in my thread if you don't plan on helping? Good day to you sirs.

Edited by DJRSXS, 03 November 2009 - 05:22 PM.

#13 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:27 PM

Your most welcome. :thumbsup:

#14 DJRSXS

DJRSXS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:32 PM

Ok theres a known fault for this and it involves a registry fix.

I downloaded a file for this sometime ago for a clients laptop, which I've added to here.

Open the zip and read the text file. Its not my work - just something that worked for me.

Hope it works for you,

Cheers ;)

Gave this a try as well, tried restarting....still nothing. This is so frustrating. Thanks anyways though for the suggestion. :thumbsup:

Edited by DJRSXS, 03 November 2009 - 05:32 PM.

#15 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:30 PM

Do you have the hard drive and the cd-r on the same cable. I have had issues in the past with that - had to give them each their own cable - primary/secondary. It also sounds like this drive worked in a known good computer?

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users