Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot CTL ALT DEL, Print, Shut down, etc. Lost admin rights

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kfreder

kfreder

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:46 PM

I was instructed to open a new post in the XP Forum per post 259872.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/259872/lost-admin-rightsctrl-al-del-does-not-workcannot-shut-down-without-powering-off/

I have been experiencing the following issues:

* Cannot Shut down without manually powering up
* IE windows open and then immediately close for four or five tries prior to being able to actually access the internet
* IE windoes lock up when trying to close them
* When I try to go into Control Panel, I normally receive an error saying that i do not have sufficient rights
* Cannot print
* Cannot do a CTRL ALT DEL
* various other programs will lock up after having them open for 15 or so minutes.

I worked with someone in the HJT forum (see post above) and he walked me through various steps that you can see in the notes. At this point, he has referred me here for assistance. Also note: I have unfortunately not been able to locate my XP CD.

I appreciate any help that you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:32 PM

Well...seems to me that Kahdah pretty much ran the gamut of things that could work, short of a repair install effort or a clean install. I certainly can't think of much that you can try without an XP CD.

Your system sounds as if it needs a clean install, but I would try a repair install first. A repair install would leave your data files and programs intact, but would give you a new set of system files. But...a repair install will not correct hardware or malware problems...I think we can rule out malware presence at this point, but the effects seem to be evident on your system.

You need to see if you borrow or obtain a copy of someone's CD (same version, same SP-level) as your system. Using that, with your valid license, we could then try a repair.

I believe you already tried this, but I am posting it for future use by some in similar situations where registry permissions have been changed.

Reset Registry & File Permissions in XP, http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/reset-th...-in-windows-xp/.

I see where some suggest that the Dial-A-Fix tool may enable resetting default permissions...but I guess I don't have much faith in a tool's ability to deal with situations that are almost 2010-ish...when it hasn't been updated in 3 years. But...trying it is better than trying nothing, IMO.

Worth reading, http://www.timeatlas.com/useful_utilities/...update_problems.

http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix

Louis

#3 kfreder

kfreder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:59 PM

I searched high and low for the disk and could not locate it. I did learn of a Dell Utility that activates by doing a CTRL f12 when starting up. After backing everything up, I ran that restore utility and it restored everything to where it was when I first bought it. All seems to be working now and I am working on restoring everything that I backed up. Thanks again for your help!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:17 AM

Glad you solved it, appreciate the feedback. Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users