I first noticed it when Internet Explorer would pop open randomly to various websites. I've done scans a few days ago and it removed something but obviously not the issue. Yesterday it shut down my anti-virus all together. Today i went to install a new anti-virus and Malware programs and a quarter way through the scan they shut down suddenly. I tried Microsoft's online scanner and their Malicious Software remover and got the same result. They both shut down. It would not even allow me to create a Highjackthis log. 10 seconds into the scan it too shut down. I have attempted all this is Safe Mode as well to no avail. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate.
Thanks in advance for any help. The only thing i can think of at this point it to reformat which obviously i do not want to do.
Welcome to BC
We will need internet connection, or the ability to transfer files for this clean...
RKill by Grinler
The process of cleaning your computer may require temporarily disabliling some security programs. If you are using SpyBot Search and Destroy, please refer to Note 2 at the bottom of this page.
- Before we begin, you should disable your anti-malware softwares you have installed so they do not interfere RKill running as some anti-malware softwares detect RKill as malicious. Please refer to this page if you are not sure how.
- Download Link #1.
- Save it to your Desktop.
- Double click the RKill desktop icon.
If you are using Vista please right click and run as Admin!
- A black screen will briefly flash indicating a successful run.
- If this does not occur please delete that application and download Link #2.
- Continue process until the tool runs.
- If the tool does not run from any of the links tell me about it.
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
- Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
- Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
- When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
- Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Then click Finish.
On the Scanner tab:
- If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
- Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
- If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
- Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
- Then click on the Scan button.
- If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
- The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
- When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
- Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
- Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
- Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
- The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
- Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs
From what i can tell the RKill worked fine, a small black window appeared very briefly and vanished.
I downloaded the MBAM even though i already have it. (Just to play it safe.) And again it scanned for about 10 seconds then shutdown.
Edited by JaidaGage, 26 October 2009 - 12:10 PM.