Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Windows

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:24 AM

I've been doing some thinking about WindowsXP Pro 64-bit. I was thinking about buying it and using it since I have a 64-bit machine, but I've also heard that it doesn't support many drivers. So I was wondering would I be better off waiting for Microsoft releasing Vista or waiting until they fix XP Pro 64-bit?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:54 AM

Hi Yanowhiz,

Howzit going? Remember me? I talked to you a few months back when you were having some problems with your laptop...

Anyhow, about your question.... Ironically enough, about 3 hours ago, I was just reading about the 64 Bit version of XP in the latest PC World Magazine. In the review it said that Drivers were very buggy. The overall assessment by PC World was to wait until Longhorn (aka Windows Vista) comes out next year.

on a somewhat similar note, I can kind of relate to this...back in December, I decided to upgrade my system to the New PCI-Express Boards. I had to upgrade several components and in the end it cost me close to $1000. I am currently on my new PCI-Express System and I have to say that it was not worth it. The technology is still just to new...over time, I'm sure the Drivers will get better and PCI-Express will be a lot faster than the older motherboards...but at this point, if I could do it all over again. I would have waited.

Getting the newest thing isn't always the best idea....It almost seems like you become a guinea pig for the manufacturer....

Just my two cents.
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:46 AM

It would seem to me that unless I already had access to business programs written specifically for this 64bit system that would ensure significantly increased productivity compared Win XP 32, and therefore justify the expenditures in both financial terms as well as possible losses due to downtime and learning curve, increased productivity and production enough to justify increased expense despite the rapid depreciation that will take place for the op system itself due to short shelf live before Vista appears, and the increases in costs attributed to converting to Win XP 64 (as it will be a very short period that update will remain valid before you would need to update to Vista - 64 to stay current for support and prestige), it would be difficult to justify doing so at all.

Now, if you're talking about the toy value of having it on a machine or two and justifying the expense by attributing it to its training value - go for it, but a complete transition to a system which is already obsolete would make little economic sense as far as I was concerned.

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:28 AM

Hello windowsxp550, yes I remember you. lol :thumbsup:
Thank you for your insight. I'll just wait for Vista.

But the only reason I built a 64-bit system back in June was so it would be ready for the next version of Windows, and I knew I wouldn't have the money when Vista would be coming out becaus I'll have to use all the money I have just to buy Vista.

#5 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:09 PM

lets see i remember a quote from somewhere i dont remember where... but here goes "newer is not always better." just because the PCI-e is newer, i've heard awfully dreaded things about the drivers :thumbsup:. thats why i'm still stuck with my AGP 4x mobo. hey it worx dont it?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users