Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD only showing half capacity

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LobsterLennon

LobsterLennon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:23 AM

Under My Computer (In both XP sp3, and 7 ultimate) only 72gb of my 160gb hdd are showing. Now, there is a 4gb partition as well, but that wouldn't take up half of the hard drive. I've attached a screenshot of Disk Managment which shows 149gb Hard Drive with 144gb partition for C, next to the C Drive properties.

Any ideas on how to show the entire capacity?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:40 AM

Under My Computer (In both XP sp3, and 7 ultimate) only 72gb of my 160gb hdd are showing. Now, there is a 4gb partition as well, but that wouldn't take up half of the hard drive. I've attached a screenshot of Disk Managment which shows 149gb Hard Drive with 144gb partition for C, next to the C Drive properties.

Any ideas on how to show the entire capacity?

Accessories>System tools>disk cleanup>OK

Also see the More Options tab at the top to delete old restore points.

#3 LobsterLennon

LobsterLennon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:47 AM

I've already tried that Daffy, nothing happened. Plus, I just installed Win7 after formatting the hard drive about an hour ago trying to fix this.

#4 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:12 AM

I've already tried that Daffy, nothing happened. Plus, I just installed Win7 after formatting the hard drive about an hour ago trying to fix this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933212

Do you have a windows.old folder?

#5 LobsterLennon

LobsterLennon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:17 AM

Nope. And the problem isn't that I don't have enough free space. It's just that half of the hard drive isn't showing up at all, free, used, or otherwise under My Computer.

#6 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:35 AM

Nope. And the problem isn't that I don't have enough free space. It's just that half of the hard drive isn't showing up at all, free, used, or otherwise under My Computer.

Have you configured Windows Explorer to show hidden and protected operating system files? If not, do so, then search for large files or directories.

#7 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:41 AM

I am wondering if pagefile.sys or hiberfil.sys are not unusually large for some strange reason.

#8 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:52 AM

Right-click on My Computer>Properties>System Protection>configure button>Choose turn off system protection>Move slider to the left as much as possible>Delete button>continue>Close>apply>OK

Now reboot and see how much free space you have.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:43 PM

What's that entry re "crash dum..."?

Do you have some program installed that's making a backup of your C:?

I've never seen an entry like yours. Pagefile, etc. data is not normally reflected in Disk Management for XP, just the partition data.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users