Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vista recovery won't finish

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Leslie138

Leslie138

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:41 AM

Using Hewlitt Packard's system recovery disks, but the process hangs up at the "copying files" stage. Have let it run overnight, but still hangs up. Using Windows Vista. It hangs up at the screen with the two folders.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Liz459

Liz459

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:04 AM

Leslie

I have recovered many computers in the past. I have been trying to recovery a friend's computer all weekend. It is an HP A6313W (Pavilion). I am using recovery disks she ordered from HP. I know exactly the position where you are getting hung up but I am afraid I cannot offer any advise on how to get by it - but I can tell you my situation and what I intend to try.

I get passed the two files you refer too - I get to the final blue screen that tells you that it is finishing and to please wait. At that point, I have even seen a preview of the desktop, I have be able to go in and create a user name and change the account picture, the welcome screen and all of the "programs, etc... It will even go into a screensaver when I just let it sit there long enough. However, if I restart - it goes right back to that same place again - please wait. It is not 'finished' recovery in spite of what I am able to see and do as none of the hardware is there, it does not go through the set up process, or any other typical recover processes which typically occur after a recovery comletes.I have even let it sit overnight.

As per a link in the HP website - I have run it over repeatedly. I have spoken to HP via chat numerous times who assure me all should be fine - all is well in bios, etc..

I had trouble performing a recovery one other time - with a Sony Vaio laptop and it turned out that it took 3 sets of recovery Cd's before one set worked. HP's site also says that it may be the recovery disks, especially if they were ordered from HP and that you may have to try a new set - which of course, HP should supply free, as did Sony when I had the problem. That is what I intend to do. Even though I have a new hard drive sitting here - I hesitate to try it on it as if it is the disks, it will do the same on the new one and then I won't be able to return it and will still have the issue. I would suggest - have HP send you a new set of disks - try it again...then try a new HD.

If you have any success - please post back - as will I when I get the new disks. Good Luck
Liz

#3 Leslie138

Leslie138
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:31 PM

Thank you for the advice. I will order a new set and then post what happens.

Leslie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users