Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot in normal or safe mode. BSOD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pealow

pealow

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:08 AM

Okay I am using my mom's computer because I cannot boot mine.. The other night Avira alerted me to a virus, I ran a scan, deleted the virus and restarted the computer. Upon restart I received the BSOD. I tried safe mode and it runs a bunch of commands and then stops. Nothing more. I tried going into recovery console but don't know what command to type in. It says drive C and press enter to exit recovery console. Can this machine be saved???? Please help?

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,969 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:09 AM

It can be difficult to determine what exactly caused this problem. Bootup failure can be due to a variety of issues to include application faults, hardware failures, loose pin connections or malware. Startup failures that occur before the OS loader (Ntldr) starts could indicate missing or deleted files, or damage to the hard disk master boot record (MBR), partition table, or boot sector. If a problem occurs during startup, the system might have incompatible software or drivers, incompatible or improperly configured hardware, or corrupted registry/system files. However, the first thing to do is check all your hardware connections and ensure they are fitted properly.

If you cannot bootup or logon in normal or safe mode, then your options are limited.You may be able to use a Windows XP bootable Floppy Disk to boot from a diskette instead of your hard drive. If your hard drive's boot sector or Windows' basic boot files have been corrupted, this disk will circumvent the problem and boot you into Windows. If you don't have an emergency boot floppy, you may be able to use one created on another PC running Windows XP but there's no guarantee that it will boot your machine.Another option is to create a Bootable CD:You can try doing a "Repair Install with Recovery Console". The Recovery Console is a Windows utility that provides a DOS-like command line from which you can run some repair programs. If you have a Microsoft Windows CD-ROM, you can get to the Recovery Console by booting from that CD and pressing any key when you told to 'Press any key to boot from CD'. At the 'Welcome to Setup' screen, press r for Repair.If you don't have your XP CD you can download an ISO of the Recovery Console files:Burn it as an image to a disk to get a bootable CD which will startup the Recovery Console for troubleshooting and fixing purposes. This is especially useful for those with OEM systems with factory restore partitions or disks but no original installation CD. If you are not sure how to burn an image, please read How to write a CD/DVD image or ISO and Creating A Windows XP Recovery Console CD Image.

You can start a new topic in the Windows XP forum if you need assistance with this.

Important Note: If this is a virus/Trojan related issue, you should know that some types of malware can result in a system so badly damaged that a Repair may NOT help!. Reinstalling Windows without first wiping the entire hard drive with a repartition/format will not remove the infection. The reinstall will only overwrite the Windows files. Any malware on the system will still be there afterwards. Starting over by wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore with a vendor-specific Recovery Disk/Recovery Partition removes everything and is the safest action. Please read:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 pealow

pealow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:42 AM

Just wanted to let you know that the error it gives is

STOP; 0x0000007E, (0xC0000005,0x8A1254C9,0xBA4C2C50,0xBA4C294C) does this mean anything?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,969 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:17 PM

This issue might occur if a system thread generates an exception that the error handler does not catch. This exception can be caused by any of the following:

* If this issue occurs after the first restart during Windows Setup or after Setup is complete, the computer might not have sufficient hard disk space to run Windows XP.
* The computer BIOS might be incompatible with Windows XP, or it might have to be updated.
* The video adapter drivers might be incompatible with Windows XP.
* A device driver or a system service might be damaged.
* If the issue is associated with the Win32k.sys file, it might be caused by a third-party remote control program.

How to troubleshoot a Stop 0x0000007E error

#5 pealow

pealow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:53 PM

It was working perfectly until the viruses were detected. I did not install or change anything.. Running XP for 5 years without a hitch. I looked at all of the recovery/repair info. I tried the XP cd and booted from disk. I tried to do the repair install but it asks about some kind of Partition, I don't get Windows XP. It asks which Partition do I want to install windows to, so I just exit. By the way I'm on my mom's computer.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,969 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:45 PM

You can start a new topic in the Windows XP forum if you need assistance with this.

Edited by quietman7, 26 October 2009 - 05:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users