I have been experiencing a rather annoying problem with my laptop for several days. At times the whole system got completely stuck (I was unable to even click on anything) and would not get un-stuck for a long time. First thing I thought was a process being problematic. Through the Task Manager I could not notice any processes using a lot of CPU at the time of the problem. Then I thought virus. MalwareBytes detected 7 malware and deleted them, Norton antivirus and Kaspersky online scanner found no infections. After some time, I considered seeing what's going on with the RAM instead of the CPU (since I noticed that when the computer was non-responsive, it was reading the HD continuously). Again, at the task manager, I noticed the RAM going periodically to full usage then slowly to about half its usage then up again. Everytime the RAM usage went down, I noticed a sudden spike at the CPU which I traced to the SearchProtocolHost and SearchIndexer processes. Ending the processes had no effect, since they would just reappear, so I disabled the service. Since then, the computer has not become completely non-responsive, however it does have the following problems: when I open a specific folder, the explorer process gets stuck at about 50% CPU usage and will not go back down. I am forced to terminate it and restart it each time. Adaware has also been unable to perform a scan the whole time the computer has been problematic, since it gets stuck after it checks about 3000 files.
I am out of ideas, so I am attaching two HijackThis logs, one when the computer seems to behave normally and one when the explorer process is stuck at 50% CPU usage. I still don't understand why the search service caused the previous problem, but somehow it does not seem that everything is alright now anyway.
Thanks for any assistance