Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Menu : I Need Unification!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 siouxdax

siouxdax

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:45 AM

Hello all:
I am really OCD about my Start Menu and must have everything in order. Unfortunately, I have a problem with the Start Menu in Win7. I know that the Start Menu directory is C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu, but it does not contain all the shortcuts. When I look at the Start Menu (by way of the Start button) there are shortcuts that should be showing in the above mentioned directory, but are nowhere to be found. I checked both the Default and Public directories for the Start Menu, but discovered that their Start Menus only show their arrangement when logged into their respective accounts. So, my question is this: what can I do to keep the Start Menu directory in one, neat and tidy package? I just want one place to go to to maintain my Start Menu.

Any help/suggestions are very much appreciated!

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 _Allan_

_Allan_

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Location:http://Universe/Sol/Terra/North_America/Canada/Ontario/Toronto.city
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:57 AM

You can move things around by dragging dropping. Rename a folder to "Internet" and have stuff like Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Limewire etc in it.
Have another named "Windows Live" and have ALL the stuff from Live.com in there ... you can rename folders, and in the StartMenu you can make folders as well (through the manner you searched above) and move stuff into the folders.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:03 AM

You can move things around by dragging dropping. Rename a folder to "Internet" and have stuff like Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Limewire etc in it.
Have another named "Windows Live" and have ALL the stuff from Live.com in there ... you can rename folders, and in the StartMenu you can make folders as well (through the manner you searched above) and move stuff into the folders.

I'm sorry. You misunderstood me. I know how to use the Start menu, and how to drag-n-drop, etc. I'm talking about the above mentioned directory path and its inconsistency. What is in the folder is not exactly what is displayed in the actual Start menu.

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

#4 _Allan_

_Allan_

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Location:http://Universe/Sol/Terra/North_America/Canada/Ontario/Toronto.city
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:05 AM

I'm sorry. You misunderstood me. I know how to use the Start menu, and how to drag-n-drop, etc. I'm talking about the above mentioned directory path and its inconsistency. What is in the folder is not exactly what is displayed in the actual Start menu.

Ah ... yes. It's been that way since at LEAST XP ... I can remember trying to find some items that 'appear' in the Start Menu, but not in the folders for it back in XP ... ce la vie
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:44 AM

Did you look in C:\Users\%username%\Start Menu ?
And no, by design, you can not find all shortcuts in same place. That used to happen in Windows 95.

#6 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:05 AM

Well, after a lot of tinkering around, I've got it down to two directories, one for User, the other for everyone else. So between the two I can manage everything. Too bad there's no way to 'unify' the two... Maybe someone will whip up an app to do that. I do use a little app called Tidy Start Menu, but it lacks a lot of detailed tweaking; it basically pushes shortcuts around and lets you rename and delete them.

Oh well, I can dream all I want to... LOL

Thanks for all your help!

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users