Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Static Feedback Through Speakers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KDogg

KDogg

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:28 PM

I just totally stripped out my computer and gave it a good cleaning, as well as installed some new hardware. Ever since doing this I've been getting a static feedback through my speakers. It only does it whenever the hard drive is active - i.e., whenever I go to open a program or change sites on the Internet.

I've checked all my wiring, speaker jacks and cords, and anything else I could think of but could not find anything that would cause static. Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated as that noise gets quite annoying...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:10 AM

You might check your computer manufacturer's download site
I know HP has a driver update for certain models that is supposed to take care of noise
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 KDogg

KDogg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:40 PM

My computer's an e-Machine. I checked their website for any updates but there were none.

Also, the noise didn't start until after I cleaned and reassembled everything. I've checked all the wires, cables, and connections, and nothing makes a noise when I move them. The noise only comes when the hard drive is working. Once a program or website loads the noise stops until something changes and the drive runs again.

Any other ideas?

#4 KDogg

KDogg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:10 AM

Another quick question: I was reading some other sites and found that some people had similar problems due to the power supply. I checked the one I replaced and found that the voltages and amps didn't match, so I replaced it with another one that was similar (only two of the voltages and/or amps didn't match but were only 1 off). Could this be the problem and should I look to invest in a matching power supply?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:09 AM

Static is usually caused by a loose or dirty connection
I'm not really sure what you mean by voltages and amps didn't match
Could you be a little more specific and give me some numbers?

Edited by garmanma, 29 October 2009 - 10:10 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users