Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Peculiar Happenings When Opening and Saving as docx in MS Word 2007

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Steve NJ

Steve NJ

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:32 PM

Recently, I moved several MS Word 2007 documents from my new Vista laptop to my desktop Vista PC, which also has Office 2007, so the Office software is compatible.

I don't know whether this transfer triggered the glitch but now, whenever I open a docx document, I get a prompt saying:

"Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\Stephen C. Galleher\Documents\Stephen's Documents\Quotations, etc\Gratitude.docx'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

Odd...but then the document does, in fact, open.

But the document that opens is in compatibility mode [Read only] mode. This is odd!!

Then, when I go to save as as Word 2007 document, I get this prompt:

The file ... already exists: Do you want to o Replace the existing file. o Save changes with a different name; o Merge changes into existing file."

This glitch or series of glitches does not occur when I open a Word document in an older version, only when I open a docx document.

What the devil is going on? And how can I correct it?

Any help would be so, so appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Steve NJ

Steve NJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:56 PM

I did a REPAIR install of Office 2007, and this cleared up the problem. Who knows how or why the glitch appeared, but it is solved now!

:thumbsup:

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:37 PM

Thank you for posting back
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users