Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop clicking

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:59 PM

4 week ago I got a laptop. After about a week, it started making random clicking noises. Probably twice a day. It's not coming from the speakers as I have the sound turned off. It sounds like its coming from inside the laptop. And also, if I'm using the laptop and it clicks, you can feel the click. I cannot describe the click very weel. It sounds like, if you click on a link, that sound, except its not coming from the speaker, its coming from the actual machine.

Anyway, we got a laptop replacement, have been using for a day, clicked again twice today.

Is this normal?

It happens whether or not the charger is plugged in. And other than that, nothing else is plugged in.

Is ther anyway to stop it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:00 PM

sounds like it could either be a failing hard drive or something caught in a fan. check the vent holes make sure their not dirty and see if you can look inside to the fans. you can also find hard drive diagnostic tools for your hard drive usually by going to your manufacturers web site, probably under their support section.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:31 AM

Thanks for the reply.
But why would the hard drive be failing after only one day. With both laptops?

#4 _Allan_

_Allan_

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Location:http://Universe/Sol/Terra/North_America/Canada/Ontario/Toronto.city
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:48 AM

Are they Western Digital harddrives? I have found that their desktop drives are good, but, their laptop drives die quick. I had to RMA one, when I got the new one, it failed in under a week, so I told them to buy me a Seagate. They weren't happy, but after much discussion with the managers, they complied because it was 3 drives in a month.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:46 PM

this new, did it come with a warranty? if so, warranty it. its not unheard of for stuff to go bad right off the bad even twice in a row. even from the best manufacturers, something like 3% come off the line bad, you might have just gotten 2 from a bad batch. Id say contact customer service and let them worry about it if its still under warranty. after all, its not supposed to click regardless of what it is.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:51 PM

The second laptop they gave me they had to specially order as it is end of line. Do you think I'd be able to get a new one altogether? Or the exact same one?
Because I had similar problems with my mobile phone - I had two the same within a week - both of which failed, so by the third one, I was allowed to completely change it.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:48 PM

I dunno youd have to talk to them. wont hurt to ask

picard5.jpg

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:24 PM

......I had two the same within a week - both of which failed, so by the third one, I was allowed to completely change it.

I believe you should be covered under the "Lemon Law". The third time is the charm for getting one of equal or greater value. They may not suggest it and you may have to bring it up\push for it yourself.

#9 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:34 PM

Ok. Well I'm gonna take it to the store on Friday and see what they say. Or is it better to call HP first? HP were the ones who agreed to give a replacement laptop the first time.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:27 PM

I would go to the store first. Barring satisfaction from them, HP would be your next step.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users