Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Device shows in Device Manager

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:39 PM

In device manager I have this Unknown Device showing up "ACPI\AWY0001\2&DABA3FF&0" and I have no idea what it is.

Any suggestions in helping to solve this one would be a great help. Google brings up Intel VIIV for Media Centre but doesn't help me very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:01 PM

its a asus driver for windows xp

refer to http://www.voodish.co.uk/articles/asus-dri...y00012daba3ff0/

if your having problems then refer to
http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/818672

srry if this isnt helpdul its a 2 sec job using yahoo search

:thumbsup:

Edited by gully786, 25 October 2009 - 05:04 PM.

#3 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:07 PM

don't why its a "Asus" when my computer is a Acer. Anyway that driver won't work because it can't be unzipped.

I did find another download from Intel but it only linked to a Core 2 Duo where my system is a Viiv Pentium D but a search in Intel site reveals that Pentium D doesn't support Viiv which is stupid because my system is factory as it is.

Edited by Izzy, 25 October 2009 - 05:18 PM.

#4 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:39 AM

try downloading driver genius, i dont know if its free or available as a trial but try it anyway and see what happens

I reccomend using it

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:22 AM

As per Microsoft, its ACPI compliant Away Mode device (ACPI\AWY001).
It appears that you installed XP with Away feature off in your BIOS and later changed settings in BIOS to turn away feature on.

#6 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:37 PM

Was told that this unknown device may be to do with power management, that depends if the person who told me that knows or not. I installed XP like you normally do stick the CD in and install on C driver and the way you go, I never went in the BIOS, for one I don't touch it as I don't know much in there apart from booting from a CD. I just need to sort it out and al will be rosie.

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:48 PM

Is having this device showing like it is causing your computer to have any problems?

#8 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:18 PM

computer seems to be going fine, it just bugs me knowing theres a device that needs attention.

#9 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:14 PM

I can understand being bugged by it but since it does not seem to be anything that you need, have you tried just removing it?

If it is really there and needed, it will be found and installed by Windows upon reboot and maybe then it will install correctly

#10 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:37 PM

tried uninstalling it from the device manager but it reappears there. I don't think its really needed as its probably more beneficial to Media Center XP.

#11 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:35 AM

In my BIOS, I have setting for Away mode. In the help for this setting it says that it is available only in Windows XP Media Center edition. You should check your BIOS and disable the away mode.

#12 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:29 PM

been in the BIOS but there isn't anything there about away mode to disable, any ideas?

#13 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:53 PM

It should be under Advanced BIOS features in your BIOS.
Here is MS article on Away mode : http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platf...r/awaymode.mspx

#14 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:17 AM

it isn't in my advanced BIOS features.

#15 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:35 AM

It may be being referenced in another way in the power section of the BIOS - Quick Resume Technology or Intel QRTD perhaps.

If you disable whatever it is in the BIOS it will stop showing up in DM. If you delete it from DM, it will just come back. If you install the driver, it will then be known. Just where do you see it in DM?

If you know what it means, it will help sort out what that particular BIOS calls it. It does go along with Viiv, Media Center, etc. Some sites say the driver is needed for future Intel Viiv verification and updates.

If you are not running MCE, then you would not have the driver. Maybe there is a good reason to have the driver with Viiv and not just turn it off in the BIOS. Some people interpret it as a threat to privacy.

We can help take a look at your current chipset documentation when you provide the following. Then you can decide if you want to turn it off or get the driver.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste
the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to
be private information to you, just delete from the pasted information.

Edited by joseibarra, 28 October 2009 - 04:45 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users