Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Orange Internet Everywhere on Asus eeePC?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ianwhitebleep

ianwhitebleep

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:57 PM

Hi
I have an Asus eeePC 901 running Linux (sorry but not clever enough to know what flavour/version).

We spend some time in Spain and have bought a Spanish Orange Internet Everywhere mobile modem. I have managed to get it working on a windows laptop but am struggling to get it to work on the Asus (mainly because I'm not teccie enough).

I assume that there will be a way to make it work without installing windows on the netbook but I am struggling.

Can anyone help me sort this please?

Thanks
Ian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:55 PM

cat /etc/*-release

Type this in a terminal window and it will tell you what version of Linux you are using.

Can you post what happens when you try to use the modem? Like any errors messages, etc.?
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:28 PM

cat /etc/*-release

Type this in a terminal window and it will tell you what version of Linux you are using.

or
uname -a

#4 ianwhitebleep

ianwhitebleep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for the quick response...

Sorry but now I feel really thick! The software installed is a bit like windows in that there are several tabs (internet, work, learn, play and settings) and on each tab is a selection of icons. I can't work out how to open a terminal window though. I did manage to find references to xandros and file manager mentions KDE 3.4.2 - don't know if that helps.

With respect to the modem there are no error messages as such, it doesn't get that far. In a windows laptop it launches an application called internet everywhere which manages the connection and lets you see how much time has been used etc. When I plug it into the eeePC it launches the ASUS Mobile Phone Tool. Only the setup button is highlighted. Clicking that gives a setup window with only APN Setup available. Next screen gives you a choice of countries - when you select UK only T-Mobile is available and for Spain no options are shown.

Hope this won't be too frustrating for you.

Thanks again

#5 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:30 PM

Thanks for the quick response...

Sorry but now I feel really thick! The software installed is a bit like windows in that there are several tabs (internet, work, learn, play and settings) and on each tab is a selection of icons. I can't work out how to open a terminal window though. I did manage to find references to xandros and file manager mentions KDE 3.4.2 - don't know if that helps.

I don't have Xandros for the eeePC, so I can't tell you where to go to find the terminal. I did read that Ctrl+Alt+T is supposed to open the terminal, though.

With respect to the modem there are no error messages as such, it doesn't get that far. In a windows laptop it launches an application called internet everywhere which manages the connection and lets you see how much time has been used etc. When I plug it into the eeePC it launches the ASUS Mobile Phone Tool. Only the setup button is highlighted. Clicking that gives a setup window with only APN Setup available. Next screen gives you a choice of countries - when you select UK only T-Mobile is available and for Spain no options are shown.

Hope this won't be too frustrating for you.

Thanks again

I would suspect that the ASUS Mobile Phone Tool does not recognize any uncommon/non-international networks, but I honestly do not know for sure if that's even the problem, so don't leave it at that. Google doesn't seem to be helping much, but I'll keep searching.

EDIT: changed "international" to "non-international"

Edited by MadDawg, 28 October 2009 - 03:11 PM.

#6 ianwhitebleep

ianwhitebleep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:56 PM

Hi MadDawg. Ctrl-Alt-T opened a terminal window so thanks for that.

uname -a
gave me
Linux asus-1974841624 2.6.21.4-eeepc #6 Mon May 5 11:38:34 EDT 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

cat /etc/*-release
gave me
No such file or directory

#7 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:16 PM

From the info given and a little research, I conclude that you have the latest Xandros eeePC distro. As for your modem and the related software, I could not find any useful info on this issue. Sorry I couldn't be much help.

#8 ianwhitebleep

ianwhitebleep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:32 PM

OK thanks for your help so far. To open it up again... Is it possible to create something like a Windows Emulator in a terminal window?

Or do you know of an Asus forum I could try?

Cheers

#9 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:57 PM

In the terminal try:
cat /etc/*release (no hyphen)

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#10 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:04 PM

OK thanks for your help so far. To open it up again... Is it possible to create something like a Windows Emulator in a terminal window?

VirtualBox can emulate Windows, provided you have a Windows install CD. It will run slower, however, because the guest OS will have to share resources with the host OS. Also, I'm not sure how you could get the modem to be directly detected under VB, if that's even possible.

Or do you know of an Asus forum I could try?

ASUS Support Forum: http://vip.asus.com/forum/default.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Edited by MadDawg, 28 October 2009 - 06:06 PM.

#11 ianwhitebleep

ianwhitebleep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:32 PM

Hi Raw
Thanks for picking this up. No joy with the new suggestion - still "No such file or directory"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users