Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot up problem *manufacturing mode: level 67

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 samiotis

samiotis

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:04 PM

Hi,
I disassemble my 9300 Inspiron to repair the audio connectors and I could get to it so I put the unit back together again I have done this several times before, upon re-boot on the first black screen I get this,
****manufacturing mode: level 67 ****
Press Fn-X to return the system to normal running mode.
After about a minute I get
Warning! Battery is on a critically low.
Press F1 to continue.

Internal HDD HARD error!

WARNING the battery cannot be identified.
This system will be unable to charge this battery.
Continuing without F1/F2
ERROR attempting to boot from Onboard NIC
Option ROM copy failed.
Press any key to continue.
Nothing happens, I tried F2 for and to get in to BIOS and I get to another screen with the chose to boot in to BIOS but it gets stuck and dose nothing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:37 PM

The first thing to do is disassemble it again and retrace your steps for a missed connection
It's been mentioned that it could be a BIOS issue:
http://www.ihatedell.net/forum/phpBB2/dell...-67-t11282.html

Edited by garmanma, 25 October 2009 - 04:40 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 samiotis

samiotis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:58 PM

The first thing to do is disassemble it again and retrace your steps for a missed connection
It's been mentioned that it could be a BIOS issue:
http://www.ihatedell.net/forum/phpBB2/dell...-67-t11282.html

Thanks Mark but that was the first thing I thought of so i disassemble it three times, non of the formention in the link above work My google search turn up nothing that works.

#4 samiotis

samiotis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:32 PM

Given up?

#5 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:31 PM

Check the drive by putting it in another system. If it is ide, you might need an ide adapter. If sata, you can use it on any sata controller. Back up your data or image the drive if it looks normal.

You have probably hosed the system board or at least the bios. If the methods previously described/linked to by garmanma do not allow you to reset the bios to system defaults (pull cmos coin battery with ac unplugged and battery removed, wait for all lights to go out or wait 15 min, replace coin batt and try again) you probably have a serious problem with the board and it may need to be replaced.

This may give you an overview of what the manufacturing mode is used for. It is unlikely to really help.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...mp;toggle=false

Some notes from similar models. (I have a 9100 on my bench now) Dell power supplies of this era have a third wire that is read by the bios to determine if you have a "real" Dell brand power adapter and will refuse to charge the battery. Thus some of the errors you posted may not be real errors as such, but indications that the bios is not able to do its job and clues that the bios or mainboard or both are not readily repairable by end users. If this were a warranty situation, the board would be replaced and the Dell tech would probably set the mfg mode to match the one on the tag inside the bottom cover and a new service tag would be applied to the outside or the tag number set in the bios. (It has varied over the years and I am no longer doing warranty work for anyone.)

#6 samiotis

samiotis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:50 PM

The board is the original The HD is ok, the A/C adaptor is the original I did the unplug and plug the BIOS battery two times and how can a board go bad when all I did is unplug and plug components on it.

Edited by samiotis, 02 November 2009 - 02:07 PM.

#7 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:14 AM

Could be static damage, could be just one time of not taking the battery out before disco the top right power connector. Laptop dis-assembly and reassembly requires a good set of habits and we all bugger something occasionally when we vary from them even slightly. The wrong length screw in the wrong place can do serious damage to a mainboard electrically so I always print out the screw guide and segregate them as I pull them.
I did not learn this lesson the easy way. In my many years of working on electronics with no manuals, I have "let the magic smoke out" of several items. More than I would like to remember. The internet and service manuals online make it much easier now.

A replacement board is around 250.00 now and a couple of places offer 150.00 flat mainboard repair. Google the exact dell PN from the board though since I think this model came in a sata version and an ide version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users