Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem using Expand in Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 kevin426

kevin426

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 01:44 PM

PC is Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+. Operating system is XP Professional.
Following a suspected virus problem & discussions with anti-virus provider, they have finally asked me to replace the user32.dll file with the same from my Windows CD using Recovery Console. Following the Microsoft support publication 315241, no problems in starting the Console or renaming the user32.dll file to a .bak extension. However, I cannot seem to replace the file using the Expand command.
My syntax is: expand d:\ie386\user32dl_ c:\windows\system32.
When I try this, I get the message "The system cannot find the file or directory specified". Using windows explorer, I can see that the relevant user32 files on both the C: drive and on the Windows CD do exist. The CD is the original installation CD. Am I doing something wrong with the Expand command or is there another problem?
Any help gratefully received. Thanks, Kevin.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:09 PM

Do/did you mean to type i386 instead of ie386?

i386 should be right.

Edited by joseibarra, 25 October 2009 - 03:09 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 kevin426

kevin426
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:31 PM

OK thanks, well spotted. Slip of the finger! I did actually type i386 for when attempting to expand/copy the missing file (I know, because I tried it several times!). The problem still exists. Any help is still welcome.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:00 PM

Do you have a space between the two locations? You don't above.

The expand command seems inappropriate, since the file you want is not compressed. I would try the copy command, rather than the expand command.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 October 2009 - 04:14 PM.

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:18 PM

...and of course you really typed user32.dl_ and not user32dl_

I usually put the complete destination path:

c:\windows\system32\user32.dll

No matter what I do wrong on purpose, I can't get that message you are reporting, but I am not using RC at the moment but I will if I have to...

Edited by joseibarra, 25 October 2009 - 04:23 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 kevin426

kevin426
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:27 PM

Hi Louis
Yes, I did leave a gap when typing for real.
OK, I will try Copy but I was following the suggested solution from the Microsoft document. Why is the file on the Windows CD a .dl_ type as against a .dll file on my PC? Are they the same thing? Also the file on the disk is 258kb and the one on the pc is is 564kb. Again, why would that be?
Apologies for my lack of knowledge.
Cheers, KEVIN

#7 kevin426

kevin426
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:30 PM

To Josiebarra
Yes again, I did type it correctly when I did it. And OK, I will try the full path next time.
Thanks, KEVIN

#8 kevin426

kevin426
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:53 PM

An update ...
I have tried again.
expand d:\i386\user32.dl_ c:\windows\system32\user32.dll gives me the previous error "The system cannot find the file or directory specified"
copy d:\i386\user32.dl_ c:\windows\system32\user32.dll gives me an error "Access is denied"
I don't understand what is happening here.

(I of course have to rename the user32 file back from .bak every time in order to start up Windows properly again after these trials)

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:15 PM

The "access denied" error is a permissions problem, I have no idea why you got that.

To get commands to run...try typing the full designation.

Just because Windows sometimes truncates file extensions...that's no reason to do so when trying to run commands from the RC or a command prompt screen within Windows.

.dll is the file extension to use.

Louis

You use the Expand command when attempting to copy files that are compressed, such as. cab files...from the Windows CD. Files with .dll extension are not compressed.

Edited by hamluis, 25 October 2009 - 05:16 PM.

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:38 PM

Are you booting into the Recovery Console for all of this?

How are you renaming the file so you can boot again?

The files with the underscore are compressed installation files and will get expanded to their full names when XP is installed, or you can do them manually.

user32.dl_ is a smaller file that gets expanded to user32.dll

I think we are missing something silly here and can't work on it anymore today, but don't give up!

#11 kevin426

kevin426
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:17 PM

OK, thank you both for your help.
I'm a bit confused as it seems that one of you is saying that the file on the cd is compressed (hence .dl_) and the other is saying the file is not compressed (.dll).
I'm using the ren command within RC to rename user32.dll to user32.bak and then back again before coming out of RC. I know this is working because when I forgot to rename back, windows wouldn't start and said the user32.dll file was missing.
It's 11.20pm in the UK and I have to go to work tomorrow so I'll have another go tomorrow night.
Cheers, KEVIN

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:57 PM

I was in error, I see that .dl_ is an actual file extension, http://filext.com/file-extension/DL_.

Louis

#13 kevin426

kevin426
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:07 PM

Well here goes again!
I've tried again to use both expand and copy within Recovery Console and again, I get the same errors:
expand d:\i386\user32.dl_ c:\windows\system32\user32.dll gives me the previous error "The system cannot find the file or directory specified"
copy d:\i386\user32.dl_ c:\windows\system32\user32.dll gives me an error "Access is denied"
I still don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Is there another way i can copy the user32.dll file from my windows cd and replace the existing user32.dll file in C:\windows\system32. Can I copy and paste it, say, onto the desktop, somehow expand it and then overwrite the existing file in system32 folder. If this is possible, should I do this in Safe Mode.

Also, I note there is a copy of user32.dll file in the hidden dllcache folder in system32. Can i use this to replace the existing user32.dll file? As I mentioned much earlier, this has come about by my antivirus supplier telling me to replace the user32.dll file. If a do a quick file scan on the main user32.dll file, it shows it as being infected, if I file scan the version in dllcache, it shows it to be clean. Can I use this clean file to replace the infected one?

Any help or guidance gratefully received as I am reaching the extent of my knowledge now.
Thanks, KEVIN

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:04 PM

<<...no problems in starting the Console or renaming the user32.dll file to a .bak extension.>>

If you renamed the file on the XP install...the error message telling you that it cannot find the file/directory...makes sense. There would not be a file by that name...at that location. I have no explanation for the "access denied" message.

If there is a user32.dll file on your system...at a location other than the C:\Windows\System32 location...that is 565KB...I would just copy that one to the Windows location.

The one in the dll.cache fits the order, assuming that it's not damaged.

I would just move it to the active location in the System32 folder and worry about replacing it in the dllcache folder later.

I have the feeling that this won't solve your problem, but we'll see.

Louis

#15 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:07 PM

Yes you can and that is the file Windows would use if the real user32.dll ever comes up missing.

Next time you are in RC, please run:

chkdsk /r

I booted RC, renamed my user32.dll, made sure it was gone and could not expand mine either - WTH? It said:

Unable to create file user32.dll

So I made a tmp folder, cd'd to that and expanded it there, then backed up to system32, still no go.

I am not sure what all I tried next, but eventually typed:

expand d:\i386\user32.dl_ c:\windows\system32\ (with the backslash) and that worked.

I deleted it and tried it without the backslash and it worked again. I rebooted, no backslash failed again, put the backslash back and it worked again. It expanded fine several times after that with or without the backslash.

If I ran it again, it asks me if I want to overwrite it... I could not make it complain again. It was like maybe I had to wait a few minutes after deleting it or something

It is not the same error as you got, but it didn't work the way I thought and and I think it should have, but then it started working.

I don't get it :thumbsup: . I will try some more things later.

What was your original problem that you think replacing this file will solve or is it just advice from your provider?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users