Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Start up Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 domhurley

domhurley

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:30 AM

Hi, when I start my Vista laptop up, the 'Microsoft Coperation' screen with the loading bar comes up but then the screen goes blank with just the cursor.
It starts ok in safe mode and I've scanned it but nothing.
I've even gone into msconfig and deleted all the start up files (except this microsoft ones) and all the system files but still just the same.
Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Dom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:28 PM

I was having the same problems with my laptop.I did a system recovery to factory settings (told to do this by hp) and since then everything has been fine.

This is a bit drastic i know but if you cannot find any other options then it could be worth a go.

#3 domhurley

domhurley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:11 AM

Cheers !!!! Fixed now, I found a Vista CD and repaired the start up, and it's fine. Problem now with me XP Desktop so off to the XP forums !!!!

#4 llynara

llynara

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:59 AM

I just had this happen on my boyfriend's Vista laptop (and he does abuse it pretty badly!) Startup repairs never fixed it, but I could get it into safe mode. I still couldn't find anything causing it, though I suspect it was a botched install of something. I rebooted, pressed F8 and chose "Last Good Configuration" and that fixed it! I am now scanning it to be sure it's completely free of viruses and hard disks are error-free. Then I'm going to back it up and set a restore point, since none appeared to have been set. Vista is a bit funky; I'm so used to XP and went directly to Win7 without stopping at Vista!
Llyn :huh:

#5 71BlackBird

71BlackBird

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:16 PM

I just had this happen on my boyfriend's Vista laptop (and he does abuse it pretty badly!) Startup repairs never fixed it, but I could get it into safe mode. I still couldn't find anything causing it, though I suspect it was a botched install of something. I rebooted, pressed F8 and chose "Last Good Configuration" and that fixed it! I am now scanning it to be sure it's completely free of viruses and hard disks are error-free. Then I'm going to back it up and set a restore point, since none appeared to have been set. Vista is a bit funky; I'm so used to XP and went directly to Win7 without stopping at Vista!

Hello. My very first post here on BC. I too had this problem. What happened was I downloaded a "freebie" from well the usual place and the program did nasties. So, hp had to send me free copies of Vista discs so I can fix my laptop (G70 series). So, I formatted the hd and installed the DVD's and it brought it back to life, otherwise my system was gone. The sad thing is, I only had this laptop running for 5 days, the program was or could have been Jaksta a video downloader or something else that I tried for free. BTW, I dislike Vista and my new laptop, I get more problems with it than my old one (Pavilion 9000).

So, I say it might be those freebies that are causing the problems. Right now I just joined here to hope to fix the: Corel Video Studio X2 12 won't uninstall, this could be because I had to paste a .dll over top of the original, anyone know the fix to this? The only other thing I can try is downloading the "true" trial and hope it overwrites that .dll file to get the uninstaller to work and I can get rid of it!!! Take care....

#6 llynara

llynara

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:14 PM

Sorry, I did a search on your problem yesterday, 71blackbird, and couldn't find much on it. I'll look again as soon as I can.

I did, however, find out what was causing the issues with my boyfriend's laptop: looks like it was a Vista update gone wrong. If I go back to "Last Good Configuration", everything works fine, but as soon as it wants to shut down and install updates, the trouble is back! I am not sure which particular update it is, but wow does it ever cause problems! For now, I have turned off automatic updates and installed an RC of Windows 7 alongside it so he can mess around with that (let's see how long it takes him to break it, ha ha!)

I'll post as soon as I find out what update was causing the issue in Vista on his Acer laptop.

PS I did extensive scanning and his laptop is indeed, free of viruses. Wonder of wonders, I guess he was listening! :huh:

Edited by llynara, 28 October 2009 - 03:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users