Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start menu linking problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 adamsmith070

adamsmith070

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:06 AM

Why is it that in Windows as soon as one things seem to be getting better something else pops-up. Seems like a problem toggle at work.

Windows XP SP2

These are probably all related

From the Start Page
[i] When I select the Start >> 'Help and Support' link a Shortcut Dialog box Pops up with the following msg >>
"Windows cannot create a shortcut here.
Do you want to the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead"

[ii] Similar effect for Start >> 'Search'
[iii] Similar effect for Start >> 'Run'
[iv] Start >> 'Printers and Fax' Seems OK so far.

From the Control Panel
[i] I cannot open "Network Connection" to get to properties in order to set the Show Icon when connected option, of course this is not showing on the Taskbar.

[n] ... The many other SNAFU's still to be uncovered.

Is there a solution short of dumping the whole thing away?

"Start menu linking problem"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:50 AM

Why is it that in Windows as soon as one things seem to be getting better something else pops-up. Seems like a problem toggle at work.

(bolded mine)

Is the PC at your place of employment? If so then it is very possible the IT Dept. has restrictions in place to prevent changes. If this is the case then Forum policy does not allow us to discuss circumventing said policies.

#3 adamsmith070

adamsmith070
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:57 PM

Seems like a problem toggle at work.

Could also mean the system has a built in "ON/OFF" toggle for 'PROBLEMS', one or the other
This is my Home desktop computer at HOME

Further down I said

Is there a solution short of dumping the whole thing away?

This would assume that I have authority to do so, unless I wanted to get fired as well
:thumbsup: lol! :flowers: lol! :trumpet: lol! Anybody at home, the lights are on :inlove:

:cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users