Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unstable Post Codes (1d/C1; 25; 5d)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Typhoon859

Typhoon859

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:48 AM

I have recently tried to upgrade from EVGA's 750i FTW edition motherboard to their 780i. All the hardware was fully tested and functional right before the change. After switched, I kept getting the FF code before the motherboard cycled through anything and it never turned on. After much struggle, I concluded that it in fact was the motherboard. Turned out a memory slot was just broken somehow. I now received my RMA. It is relatively rare to get a corrupted motherboard and even more rare to get a following messed up motherboard which was a new fully tested replacement. That said...

Initially tested with one stick of memory in Slot 0, a processor + heatsink, a graphics card, and 24-pin & 8-pin power connections, I got post code 1d. Ignorant of the fact that it might actually be a serious error, thinking it's probably easy to fix, confident in a fully tested replacement, and thinking that my luck can't be that bad, I continued the build. Now, with every little part plugged in, guess what remained?... 1d, YEYYYY - NOT! Sigh.. But uh, FYI, that was with 4 sticks of memory. Anyway, I reverted to testing with one stick in different slots. It was a bit random, but, from what I recall, I started trying different sticks in slot 2 and I was getting either 1d or C1. Afterward, in slots 3 and 0, as I switched RAM, usually it got to and stopped at 5d. I have fairly common and supported RAM - 2 Corsair DOMINATOR sticks and 2 OCZ. The OCZ sticks seemed to more commonly get the board all the way to 5d, and when it does, it even does the power on beep right before. Occasionally though, the post stopped progressing at 25 which added to the confusion. Most preferably, I'd obviously want to try to go for any kind of solutions for 5d postal code related issues since it's the last down the cycle and since I can get to that point as is, but, I doubt the issue is within some sort of external or even internal I/O peripherals, considering I now have nothing but the essentials hooked up again and am still getting 5d...

It seems to me that I sort of cheated the 1d/C1 problem and the most unfortunate thing would be if it really were a memory controller problem, but the randomness and the simple fact that I am able to somehow cheat it depending on.. well, what should basically be called luck, not even depending on placement or which memory stick (considering I get varied results even with the same stick and same placement). Another on the list, 25, which is normally graphics card related, happens rarely and is just unlikely related to the issue here but, I checked different PCI-E slots anyway. Changed nothing - so again, don't think that it's the overall problem here either. Sooo, based on all of this, my question is this: Which single particular issue can cause these kind of random results, unrelated to what the post codes signify individually?
-My guess would be power supply, but I tested it and it's fine, on top of the fact that it was fine earlier with the 750i, which will now be called wondrous.
*Just as a small info addition, a continuous looping boot also happened twice out of the probably 100 times I tried booting.

Any help is appreciated. You guys might have a different idea than mine so the question is not a restriction to response, but rather, really just a suggestion. Truly, thank you very much, for even reading up to here.

Kind Regards,
David

Edited by Typhoon859, 25 October 2009 - 05:46 AM.

-The guy with all the rarest problems of the world-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:03 AM

The memory standard for your new board...is lower than that of your older board...that's all that I can see.

I think I'd run Memtest86+, if possible.

FWIW: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=235502

Louis

#3 Typhoon859

Typhoon859
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:09 PM

The memory standard for your new board...is lower than that of your older board...that's all that I can see.

I think I'd run Memtest86+, if possible.

FWIW: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=235502

Louis

This setup also worked on the 680i. The 780i should be superior in every way. Maybe I can flash the BIOS with a newer version if available? Might that help?
-The guy with all the rarest problems of the world-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users