Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kaspersky Internet Security

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 widethoughts

widethoughts

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:26 AM

Greetings,
My PC started doing things like changing settings (Graphics reset to 4 bit) and creating new odt documents or changing rtf to odt. KIS 2010 scans found nothing at first, then stopped with "encountered a problem and must close" or "Data Excription Protection messages. I uninstalled Kaspersky. I ran AVZ and I thnk it killed the active malware. After AVZ finished, I rebooted and got "Unknown hardware found" and "Do you want to install this hardware?" messages. I didn't allow the install and disabled it in hardware manager. (It was under unknown hardware with a ! symbol.) I tried to reinstall KIS but it kept aborting. Then I ran Kaspesky Rescue Disc (Sent to me by Kaspersky)- that took 19 hrs with "Nothing Detected". Then I tried to reinstall KAV 2010 again. This time it said install sucessful and to reboot Computer. Upon reboot, when Kaspersky was loading, Kaspersky's messages popped up saying "Some Componants Cannot be Enabeled". I then when I ran the stand alone Kaspersky removal clean up tool sent to me by Kaspersky messages popped up "Error loading %InstDir%Kav.bav. The module cannot be found" and " Error loading %InstDir%\Kav.tbp The module cannot be found" followed by a message saying removal was seccussful. But when I re-run removal tool to see if it got all of kaspersky, it says Kaspersky is still there. So I don't expect a fully functioning Kaspersky can be installed until I can get the unistall to complete without error.

I need to know why kaspersky won't install.

I have called Kaspersky tech support several times over the past weeks. It has been a 20+ min wait every time I call and a day or more wait for answers to my emails. (Some reps don't reply or check if I got their emails.)

Help, Reformat is not an option.

Thanks
Don :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AndyShep

AndyShep

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:20 PM

I purchased KIS 2010 a little over a week ago and it has been nothing but a pain in my neck ever since then. I strongly recomend that you follow another path to removing your malware. And to it now. I am a little more familiar with the process as outlined for adware removal at majorgeeks.com.. But I am sure there are excelent instructions somewhere here as well..

When I got KIS working the Scan took over two days and did not catch the Vundo variant that I had on my computer. Thank goodness I did see something in a popup that made me curious and I downloaded and ran SuperAntiSpyware... it scanned much faster than KIS and it caught a whole bunch of things that KIS 2010 did not. My next steps are going to be to run malwarebytes.. possibly followed by combofix and mgtools.exe.

Kaspersky has gone downhill fast. I purchased a CD over the internet had it delivered and installed it... A scan would not complete.. So I downloaded the latest version on their site with not much improvement.. The very next day another updated version was available so I dowloaded that and installed it as advised... I have been doing nothing but downloading, installing and scaning with that piece of junk for more than a week now, and despite all that effort it still failed to catch the Vundo variant I had on my computer. I had 16 files, 5 registry entries and 1 memory item detected by SuperAntiSpyware that KIS 2010 MISSED.

I am now going to go through the entries here and try to figure out what the best complete internet security package is... I cannot afford to stick with Kaspersky. I may have gotten infected when I had turned KIS off because it had completely frozen my computer to a standstill.. or maybe I had it before KIS... not sure but I know KIS was not worth a dime.

#3 widethoughts

widethoughts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:41 AM

Greetings,

I feel for you.
I think I have the malware out as I ran several cleaners including MalwareBytes and they all say I am clean.
I think I got hit because I didn't want to take the time to configure settings. So I paused protection.
But I need to know what administrater setting is stoping Kaspersky from loading and why just to be sure my os is repaired. Good Luck.
I'll post progress for us all.

Don

PS I find that any program can be hit and most hits are through third party software.

#4 widethoughts

widethoughts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:01 AM

Update:
At this point I have been waiting for Kaspersky support since Friday (10/23/2009) to tell me why Kaspersky uninstall program says no kaspersky Anti-Virus found when it runs set for "Automatic remove" but finds and then errors out with 2 fils can't be found when set to specifically remove Kaspersky Internet Security 2010.
and:
to tell me why Kaspersky Internet Security keeps aborting during install.

All malware cleaners and system scans show no infections.

More to come.

Any Ideas anyone?

Don

#5 widethoughts

widethoughts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:08 AM

AndyShep

Did you try Kaspersky support?

Don

#6 widethoughts

widethoughts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:11 AM

AndyShep
Thanks for the point out about SuperAntiSpyware.
I am going to run it and will post results.
Did you try Kaspersky support?

Don

#7 AndyShep

AndyShep

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:49 PM

Sorry for the late reply.. haven't been on the site for quite a while. I guess I was less clear than I could have been. I solved my problem competely without Kaspersky. I followed all of the malware removal steps listed on MajorGeeks.com and my problem was solved. It is a very involved and lengthy process but it worked wonders for my computer. I have not yet replaced KIS but will as soon as I figure out what the best replacement is. KIS bogs my computer down to a crawl and as I mentioned before I was completely infected and it didn't even notice it despite the fact that I had been doing absolutely nothing on my computer for about 2 weeks because I was attempting to complete the scans using kaspersky. I am not kidding, between all of the versions of KIS (Original CD, Download 1, Download 2) my computer was completely locked up for about 2 weeks doing nothing but running scans and after all that pain it failed to remove any malware.

If you are already infected, go to major geeks with a clean computer download all the files they recommend in the steps that are outlined rename the files and copy them onto your computer as directed and run them.

Naturally I may have omitted an even better plan of attack that is outlined on some part of this site that I have not yet become familiar with. I am just pointing out the option that I used and that worked for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users