Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Concerned about Changing Languages on XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NOxP

NOxP

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:12 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm using Windows XP in Traditional Chinese, and as I live in Mainland China (where applications are mainly in Simplified Chinese, which characters do not show correctly in Traditional), I'd like to change the language on my PC. I've been told to do this by going to Settings>Regional and Language Settings>Advanced, and choosing the language in the drop-down menu. However, there are a few things I'm concerned about.

1. If something goes wrong (Murphy's Law comes to mind), is this reversible?
2. I use the Traditional Chinese version of Microsoft Office. If I changed the language settings of my PC, would the language of Office change accordingly? And would the language of other applications change too?

Thank you! I'd be happy to give any more required information.

(See this link "http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/241483/windows-xp-pro-sp3-garbage-characters-appearing-in-some-apps/" for another person's description of what goes wrong with Chinese characters on the OS of another language.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:16 AM

Since we live in a universe...where things go wrong all the time...strategies such as backing up and having the ability to reinstall the O/S...are probably the best answers to your query, IMO.

Louis

#3 NOxP

NOxP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:29 AM

Hmm, thanks~

#4 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:04 AM

Hi NOxP,

The answers to your questions:

1. yes
2. no

Not surer about chinese but ... I use a French keyboard, which e.g. is different from the ones used in the Netherlands. Changing the language from French to Dutch means that the characters on my keyboard change: the 'm' is an 'o' etc.

So beware!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users