Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Compmon123

Compmon123

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 01 August 2005 - 04:37 PM

well, i tried to network my computers via a wireless/cabled router meaning it has lan ports and a wireless signal. I was able to network 2 of my computers and share printers and files no prob, via Ethernet cables connected to my router. Then i tried to add my laptop to the network. When i click on my network places on my 2 pcs it shows all three of my computers, the 2 desktops and the laptop. However, i cannot see the other 2 computers from my laptop. when i go to my network places, view workgroup. etc. Also, i cannot share anything with my laptop, something about a path not found and i might not have permission. Anyways, can i get some help... First of all can i have a wireless and Ethernet cable mixed network? and/ or how do i fix this... srry i guess im not so good with networking, this is my first attempt. o btw i have xp installed on one of my desktops and on my laptop, then win2k on my other desktop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 conk

conk

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:01 PM

make sure the wireless network is not encrypted or password protected that was what was stoipping mine from working
If the universe is ever expanding, what are we expanding into?

#3 Compmon123

Compmon123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 07:03 PM

how do i change that or check to see if its encrypted or w/e. again srry im somewat not so great with networking

#4 conk

conk

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:08 AM

dont worry im the same i only know this because i had to do the same.

ok go to your main computer the first one that was connected etc and open up the network menus this is usually on control panel but with some they are on the router icon belkin etc (on your desktop) and change the encyrption or password.

sorry if this is a little vague but it was about a year ago that i had to do this but that should work witha bit of poking about :thumbsup:
If the universe is ever expanding, what are we expanding into?

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:31 PM

compmon, can you first disable your firewall? in control panel you will find it. disable them on the two winxp computers. then make sure you have something to share. make sure your computers are on the same workgroup (right click on "my computer" and select properties, then select computer name) check all three computers to see if they are the same ex: Workgroup, or MSHOME.dosen't matter , as long as they are the same.you should be able to now see the other computers.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#6 Compmon123

Compmon123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:25 PM

ok thnx all... I'll remove or disable rather the windows xp firewalls, but i already had the
main computer showing all three computers, the other pc showing all three computers, and the laptop showing only itself, so i now the workgroup name is hte same, i checked it in all computers and it shows that the workgroup name is MSHOME so ill just write back later once i can restart all computers. My bro is writing a long paper/thesis/essay w/e on his laptop, so i cant do it now... ill check in later. thnx again... o for the encryption well i used my psp to view the info that my router was sending, and it showed no encryption or wep or w/e it also showed some ip addresses so yea... hope this helps u help me lol... :thumbsup:

#7 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2005 - 06:15 AM

have you got the issue addressed yet?
Google...Google.....browse..read

#8 Compmon123

Compmon123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 12:14 AM

dont worry about this issue anymore... u can lock it now lol thnx for everything tho laters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users