Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Flash Player will not install

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 robbieray

robbieray

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:36 PM

I am having a terrible time trying to install Adobe Flash Player. When I went to YouTube, it told me that I either had Java disabled or needed to install the latest Adobe FP. Java is enabled, so I tried to download FP from Adobe's site and it fails with the following:
Registering :C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10c.ocx

It says 'failed to install' and directs me to Adobe's site for troubleshooting. I have tried their recommendations twice and it still won't install. I am on Windows XP. When I started I was on IE8, thenm went to Firefox- same problem. I then went back to IE7- same problem. I used a registry cleaner (twice), still won't install at all. I have tried to go back to IE8, but it too now won't install. The only other thing is that someone just gave me this computer and she told me that she had FP under IE7 and it worked perfectly fine. However, before giving it to me, she deleted programs and upgraded to IE8 for me. So, since I've had it, it's never worked. Is it possble she deleted something that is causing the problem? I have already went and downloaded ocx files- still won't install. I would really appreciate any help. I have been trying to downlaod FP for over two weeks.

Thank you :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:17 AM

You have to uninstall the old version of Flash using the tool at this link. Then you install the new version.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

#3 robbieray

robbieray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:35 PM

I don't have the older version installed. Any other suggestions?

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:37 AM

Just use the uninstall tool. You can't uninstall Flash properly using Add/Remove programs.

#5 robbieray

robbieray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:17 PM

Yes, I have tried this several times using the tool. Adobe FP was never in the add/remove prgrams. A friend gave me this computer and she stated that it worked fine for her under IE7. But before giving it to me, she deleted her programs and updated to IE8. I then got the computer and hooked it up and one of the first things I attempted to do was download FP. So I'm thinking that she may have deleted something in her effort to clean it off. I have tried so many things just to get FP to download and it's just not working.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:32 AM

You could roll back to IE7 or try Firefox.

#7 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:31 PM

robbieray

Try this:

1/ From your Admin account, first check your security level in Internet Explorer is set to Default:

2/ Open Internet Explorer.

3/ Choose Tools > Internet Options.

4/ Select the Security tab.

5/ Click "Reset all zones to default level".

Next:

1/ Download the Adobe Flash Player uninstaller: uninstall_flash_player.exe.

2/ Save the file to your Desktop or Downloads Folder in Vista.

3/ Quit ALL running applications, including all Internet Explorer or other browser windows, AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, or other Messengers. Check the Windows system tray carefully to make certain no applications are still in memory which might possibly use Flash Player.

4/ Run the uninstaller - for Vista: right click and select "Run As Administrator".

5/ Reboot.

1/ Download the executable Flash Player installer HERE: Download and unzip.

2/ Close all running programs.

3/ Run the installer Install_Flash_Player_10_ActiveX.zip.

4/ Reboot again after installation.

To confirm that Flash Player has installed successfully, please visit: www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/.

#8 robbieray

robbieray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:05 PM

You could roll back to IE7 or try Firefox.

I've been back on 7 and I tried Firefox- still wouldn't download.

Thanks anyway

#9 Kelly Conforti

Kelly Conforti

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:09 PM

I am having the exact same issue. I get so far and then it won't register. I have tried everything that was suggested here. Did you ever get it resolved?

#10 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:25 PM

Hi Kelly,

Have a look at the link below to see if it helps.

Important: Before attempting the fix in the link, create a restore point, be sure you fully understand the instructions, and follow them exactly.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49419.html

There is also an Adobe Forum for Flash Player if you prefer.
http://forums.adobe.com/community/webplayers/flash_player

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users