Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FIREFOX ISSUE

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:24 PM

Hi Everyone,

Is it just me or have any of you out there had a problem trying to get the Adobe Flash Player to download to Firefox?

I have been trying, off and on, to get that sucker to install in Firefox for the past couple of weeks and it just doesn't want to cooperate.

I've uninstalled the old one that quit working some time back, I think after I had updated FF to v 3.5.3, and I have been trying to get the latest Flash Player to download, with no luck, ever since.

I may have made some progress though as I am now getting this thing called a download manager on my screen when I try to download the flash thingy.

But it never finishes doing whatever it is that it is trying to do, not even after running for two days, and I never get the installation icon on my desktop that it's supposed to leave.

Flash seems to work just fine in IE 7 though.

Thanks for any help,

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:21 AM

The Flash installation works differently on Firefox. You should try to install Flash as a standard addon and see if that works.

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:01 AM

If you look at the bottom of the following link you will see "Related Downloads" where you can get a copy of the latest Flash Player version for non IE browsers.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:11 PM

1 Download from http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flash...h_player_10.exe
2 Close Firefox.
3 Install the flash player by running downloaded file.
4 Check in firefox by typing about:plugins in location bar. You should see Shockwave Flash

#5 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:35 PM

Hi frankp316, bluesjunior, and Romeo29, in order of your replies.

I have already been there and done all of that..., several times over as a matter of fact, and just for grins and chuckles I did it all over again last night too.

I even found a reply that someone had left to a similar topic that had left instructions on where to find and download an Adobe uninstaller to use to get rid of the older versions of flash before installing the latest version.

It also had a link to a page to go to that would check and tell you which version of flash you had on your PC. Anyway, before running that uninstaller I went to that website and guess what guys..., that sucker said that I already have the latest version of Flash installed.

OK, so then I decide to run the uninstaller to get a fresh start and that *insert favorite explicative here* wouldn't run. I got a notice saying that either the disk was damaged, the file download was corrupted, or I had a virus.

What a bummer. Now on top of all of my other trouble I have to worry about a virus.

I still need to find the Adobe download site and try a fresh copy of that uninstaller before I panic though. If any of you have any other thoughts or suggestions I'd like to hear them.

I mean I don't understand why I can view videos from Youtube, and every where else for that matter, in IE and not in Firefox.

Thanks for any help here guys.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#6 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:39 AM

Wendy,
What are you using in the way of security ie Antivirus and Malware scanners and what kind of results are they giving, are they coming up clean?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#7 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:34 AM

Hi bluesjunior, Thanks for the reply.

I have COMODO, Firewall and AV. Everything comes up clean on my weekly scans.

I also have Malwarebytes and, may the Saints preserve me, I was able to get it to update today. That's the first time in a couple of months that I have been able to get it to update too. I ran a quick scan and it snagged one infected file, which I had it quarenteen and delete.

When I'm through online tonight I'll run a full scan and see what happens.

Wendy

#8 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:01 AM

If you are having problems updating MBAM it may be compromised. I suggest that you download and install the free version of Superantispyware (SAS) at the following link, http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html After update run a quick scan which takes about 7mins on my PC and see if it finds anything. If not then I think that somehow your Firefox profile may have got corrupted and the best thing would be a complete clean uninstall/reinstall of Firefox. This means you will lose your bookmarks etc so best to make a backup of them. there is some usefull advice at the following link. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_Firefox

#9 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:57 AM

Hi bluesjunior,Thanks for the reply.

I fear that my biggest problem with MBAM, or similar things like SAS, is mostly the fact that I am using an antiquated PC that has a mind boggling 128 MB of SDRAM.

I was able to run a full scan after my last reply to you and it took a mere THREE hours to complete.

As for as doing a clean install of Firefox goes..., I did that several months ago. Then I tried making a new profile and alas still no Adobe Flash.

I currently use FF for just about everything that I do on the WWW and only open an MSIE when I have to view a video. I ran across some instructions..., somewhere, regarding fixing a similar problem to mine. BUT as luck would have it I failed to bookmark the darned page.

There seems to be something wrong with the new installer that Adobe put out and for it to work right something, I think in the registry, has to be deleted, or unistalled via the Run command. Ans as I haven't a clue as to what that was I'm not going to be mucking about in there.

I'll check out that link you provided when I have more time to read it.

Thanks again for your reply Boo.

Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users