Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to launch game programs, possible DirectX issue?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 TheConnexion

TheConnexion

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:23 PM

Here are some brief system specs (or if you want a dxdiag report, let me know)
Video: nVidia GeForce 7950 GX2
CPU: Core 2 Duo CPU 2.4 GHz
RAM: 2046MB

I am unable to launch game apps (I can launch Ventrilo, Internet, MSN Messenger, etc.) as they either crash to desktop immediately, or get hung up.

A good example for a game that crashes would be Heroes of Newerth. When I start the program, it will crash back to desktop, often times giving me an error saying "D3D_Create: CreateDevice()", meaning Direct3D is not functioning.
Also, another error I receive when trying to launch this game is the "Visual C++ Runtime Library: R6025 Pure virtual function call" error. This only happens sometimes. I am running a registry cleaner as I type this.

I've done quite a few tests and procedures, now that I think it is a DirectX related issue, in trying to re-update DirectX 9.0c. After updating my nVidia drivers to 191.07, reupdating my DirectX 9.0c (which was always current), I still have the same error. Maybe it isn't DirectX?

So far, I have run SUPERAntiSpyWare, MalwareByte's Anti-Malware in Safe Mode, completing full scans. I've tried rolling drivers back and reupdating, covering my nVidia drivers, BIOS, DirectX, .NET framework, reinstalled the C++ redistributable... but the problem stays the same.

As far as D3D error, I run a Direct3D test (test to see rotating X cube) in DxDiag, and often times it produces this error:

Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 37 (SetCooperativeLevel to Fullscreen): HRESULT = 0x88760245 (error code)
Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x88760868 (error code)
Direct3D 9 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x88760868 (error code)

Which would mean its failing to function properly, most likely inhibiting any games from working?

Another example would be Counter-Strike: Source. I launch the game, only to be eternally stuck with the background picture and without a menu (I then have to ctrl/alt/del and end program which is 'Not Responding').

***However, sometimes I do not have a problem successfully completing the D3D test, and yet still all games crash or get hung up. This is the one parameter I do not know how to repeat - if the D3D test works or not... I just don't know why/how it works some of the time and others not.

I had one person viewing my situation tell me that it could ultimately be that my video card encountered some thermal damage, possibly overheating from lack of circulation, etc. Using Lavalys EVEREST, I can see my temperature for one card is at 63 Celsius (normal) and the other is 75 Celsius (probably not normal) when idle. Upon inspection of the card and another profressional opinion I do not believe this to be the case. Both GPU fans function and the card looks fine just as well.

I have done an enormous amount of tests and updates and procedures to see if anything has worked, and I'm just not sure what else to do at this point. Quite honestly, I'm a bit winded from trying lots of things and seeing no results. I am, however, optimistic to find out what has happened.

If there's any type of scan/diagnostic/report you would want me to run, please don't hesitate. I hope the additional info is helpful to you and that maybe there is a way to solve this issue.

Thank you sincerely,
Brett

Edited by TheConnexion, 24 October 2009 - 07:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users