Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer.... questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 por que?

por que?

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:37 PM

[B]Hello, this is my first post. I am 15 years old...

Me and my mom both really like to spend time on the computer. We have a Dell Dimension 2400 w/ 2.4GHz P4 and 640MB memory. I recently installed 512MB memory myself :thumbsup:

Since we both like to spend so much time on the internet, having one computer is ... not ideal but it is working out alright. I was thinking about purchasing a computer myself to use when she needs the computer for something and/or wants to use it.

I don't have much money to spend on a computer.

I have my eye on a Compaq ... a small desktop... the kind that is like a package of printer paper. The specs (basics) are like this:

intel Celeron 1.3GHz
256MB memory
20gb hdd
Windows 2000

The ONLY questions I have about this are
a) will this computer be sufficient? My needs include ONLY internet surfing with a cable connection and chatting on AIM.
b ) what is Windows 2000 like? I have never used it and I have no idea if it is as good as XP Home...
c) How hard are these small desktops to work on? I have done a few things (basic?) including: installing new motherboard on a computer, installing memory, cd-rom drive, and sound cards. I have watched/helped someone build a computer at my school. I know that these small desktops are set up different but once you have it open is it pretty easy to navigate and work on? Never worked on a laptop. I just ask this because I would possibly like to have a CD burner "combo" drive and more memory.

Thanks for your help.

-David :flowers:

Edited by por que?, 01 August 2005 - 05:20 PM.

1995 ? Pentium 32MB - RIP (lol)
1998 Compaq AMD 64MB
2001 ? PIII 550MHz 192MB
2003 Dell Dimension 2400 P4 2.4GHz 640MB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:01 PM

Windows 2000 Will definently suit your needs. Win 2K is very similar to Win Xp, cept it doesnt look as pretty, and is no longer updated (they just came out with the last update). I use 2K, and dont any problems with it. :thumbsup:

Small Cases arent differnet than big ones.....(unless its an xpc), its just smaller, so its harder to fit your hand into some places (like between the Power Supply, and Drive Bays).

BTY the you forgot :flowers: :trumpet:

waint nvm, its the symbol for the smily :inlove:

Edited by The Trip, 01 August 2005 - 05:02 PM.

#3 por que?

por que?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:20 PM

BTY the you forgot :thumbsup: :flowers:

waint nvm, its the symbol for the smily :trumpet:

I was going to tell you that I didn't understand that last part of your post, but now I get what you're saying now that I quoted it. lol! I'll fix that if I can.

Thanks, I will probably use the Win2k
1998 Compaq AMD 64MB
2001 ? PIII 550MHz 192MB

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:02 PM

How much is it that you can spend?

There are great deals on computers being advertised right now!

Win 2K Pro is an excellent op system, in fact XP is based on it. It is more similar to XP Pro than it is to XP Home though.

You can buy a faster new computer with XP home and more power and a larger hard drive than the one you mentioned for less than $300. Check out Dell's and Gateway's ads as well as those of the local stores.

#5 por que?

por que?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:52 PM

I know that I can get great deals on computers these days, and I might end up saving for one, but as I said I don't plan to have much money for a computer.

One thing that absolutely KILLS is the shipping. I could probably swing 299 for a Dell computer, but having to pay 100 bucks for SHIPPING is retarded and I don't think that I would do that. Is there any way to get the same computer, same price, in town? I live in a medium-sized town.
1998 Compaq AMD 64MB
2001 ? PIII 550MHz 192MB

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:23 AM

Dell has been running ads with shipping, monitor and printer included, not that I am particularly pushing Dell.

Emachines also make some extremely inexpensive machines.

Check out your local Walmart and even your local small computer sales and repair shops as well.

#7 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 08:38 AM

I see nothing wrong with the computer you are looking at. As others have stated you can find good deals on new ones with a warranty.
Look at Staples, I seen them advertise a new Compaq w/17" monitor & HP Printer for $299 after rebates.
Keep in mind that after getting another computer you will also need a router in order to connect 2 computers to you cable modem.

#8 indiandan

indiandan

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:58 AM

i work in a computer shop and repair computer,we repair a lot of those inexpensive computer.they dont build them very well. i would recommend having one built or get a refurbished one.you end up spending more more having those inexpensive computer repair.
Dan Hollingsworth
A+ certified
Mircosoft certified professional

#9 por que?

por que?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:20 PM

I can't imagine why those computers wouldn't be built well. They are refurbished from Compaq.

If I can get another computer with at least 1.0GHz processor and enough RAM to work on High-Speed internet (cable), then I would buy it. Shipping from the internet would be about the same as tax in-town anyways.
1998 Compaq AMD 64MB
2001 ? PIII 550MHz 192MB

#10 indiandan

indiandan

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:34 PM

you can make you own choices,but i know how many we repair all the time.that way they sell them so cheap
Dan Hollingsworth
A+ certified
Mircosoft certified professional

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users