Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Router Has Very Very Low Signal Strength

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 The Jolly Dummkopf

The Jolly Dummkopf

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:34 PM

Hello again,

I'm having major issues with a D-Link DI-524 (802.11g/2.4gHz) wireless router. It is H/W version A1 and F/W version 1.05. I don't believe the firmware has been upgraded, ever. Up until several years ago it worked fine - the signal was strong enough to reach a computer two floors above it but then suddenly it was weakened considerably. Now it has a radius of about less than 1 foot. I thought that maybe it was because it was on the floor and in a corner so I moved is on to the computer desk. Now the router is about 6 feet off the floor but right next to the wall and there's still no improvement. There's a wireless telephone about 4 feet under the router but it's supposed to be WiFi friendly. My neighbor's WiFi shows up as being quite strong on my Wii and DS but they can't even detect my own wireless router unless I put them right next to the router. Not even my sister's laptop can detect it. I've tried changing the wireless signal channel several times but that hasn't changed anything. What do I need to do to fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 _Allan_

_Allan_

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Location:http://Universe/Sol/Terra/North_America/Canada/Ontario/Toronto.city
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:54 PM

There IS an update available ... it could just be age ... I got rid of my DI-524 about 3 years ago, and switched to a WBR-1310 and it even has some problems.

All wireless will have problems ... it can't go very well through concrete or other such items. Best bet: try to update the F/W or get a new 802.11N draft device
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:56 PM

I think its just age. You could try a F/W update. Nothing to lose really. Also make sure the antennae is screwed in tightly. I'd try a reset on it as well.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 The Jolly Dummkopf

The Jolly Dummkopf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:04 PM

Thanks for the advice!

I updated the firmware but the problem remains. Looks like I'll be going wireless router shopping soon.

#5 provocateur

provocateur

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:15 AM

I was having a similar, but not so drastic problem. I found that other nearby routers were interfering with mine. I changed the channel on the router and the problem was solved.
I hope this can save you the cost of a new router.
Good luck!

Edit: Did not fully read your post.... I see you did change channels

Edited by provocateur, 05 November 2009 - 03:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users