Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help selecting video card

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KingofDestruction

KingofDestruction

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:23 PM

Ok I plan on getting a new graphics card to compliment my new 24inch moniter. The problem is Im not sure about the specs and such.
This is the card I want...
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...keyword=9600+gt
For gaming mostly. I think it requires 400watts...but Im not sure what wattage Im putting out.

This is what my specs say on my properties panel...
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual
Core Processor 3800+
2.00 GHz 960 MB of RAM

Under system it says Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2002,,

So Yea Thats about all I can give you. Im not that good with computers...
So will these two work? The moniter is running of a solo power supply so its not pulling too much power from the computer... I believe it came with a 6150 Nvidia at one point but it burned up due to not cleaning the casing on a regular basis (dust build up)

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it alot.

EDIT: Moved to more appropriate forum

Edited by garmanma, 24 October 2009 - 05:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:28 PM

You need to know two things before you can pick a graphics card.

1) What is the wattage of your power supply (PSU)? There should be a sticker on the power supply inside the computer tower that will tell you what the wattage is.

2) What kind of card can I get? Most graphics cards come as PCI-Express X16 cards. This means you need a slot inside the computer that can handle such a card. In this image, the long slots are the appropriate slots. In that image, the slot at the bottom is a standard PCI slot. Some computers have an AGP slot that looks like this. AGP slots are usually set back an inch or so behind standard PCI slots. If you bought your PC from Dell, HP, or some other big PC maker, there should be a model number for your PC. If you have that, it will be easier to look up your PC specifications.

3939.png

#3 KingofDestruction

KingofDestruction
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:17 AM

Hey I checked my power supply. Maximum 300w. Which means the galaxy is way to powerful. But I did find another card that should pop right in.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/ProductDisplay?...mp;keyword=card
I checked and I know it PSI slot for two reasons. One... It originally had a 6150 LE Nvidia...requires PCI slot.. and it says it right on the casing :thumbsup:

So what do you think? It will most likely be used for MMOs (RoM, PW) and Im hoping it will give me minimum power to run Aion...

Please do reply I still have more questions.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:58 PM

That card you linked to is a PCI Express card. If you have a standard PCI slot, then a PCI Express card will not work. Keep in mind that when a graphics card lists 300W as a power requirement, they mean that is what they suggest you have using a good power supply. You may be able to run a 300W card, but if you have a number of hard drives or peripherals or if the power supply doesn't output 300W due to quality, then you may have problems. The HIS H435H512PP Radeon HD 4350, POWERCOLOR 24PRO256M PCI Radeon HD 2400PRO 256MB, and SPARKLE SFPC84GS512U2LP GeForce 8400 GS 512MB all require 300W power supplies and run with a standard PCI slot. PCI cards do not offer the same performance as the PCI-Express or even AGP cards, so performance will be limited.

3939.png

#5 KingofDestruction

KingofDestruction
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:50 PM

PHEW! You had me worried DJB...the white onces are PCI and the longer black one is my PCI Express. (Thank got google image search)..

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Artic...i-expr_Full.jpg The long black one is the one I need right? Either way by the time this gets answered it will be too late. orderin the card tomorrow morning. And All Ive got is my hard drive and disk drive really...oh and some USB but I dont think power goes to those when they aren't being used...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users