Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to prevent "My documents" being developped

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 patchfree

patchfree

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:22 PM

How to prevent "My documents" being developped each time I open the Windows files explorer?

I have no use of "My documents" folder but each time I open the files explorer this folder was developped with all the files names listing. I suppose there is somewhere a tuning option to prevent this behaviour but where?

Many thenks for the help.

Patch

Edited by patchfree, 24 October 2009 - 01:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:40 PM

What do you mean exactly, be more specific.

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:08 PM

Hi patchfree, Welcome to the Bleeping Computer Help Forums.

Not that I have ever heard of this problem but are you asking how to prevent your "My documents" folder from being opened each time that you open the Windows files explorer?

If so..., PLEASE list the operating system that your PC is using and state how you get to "The Windows File Explorer" that you mentioned.

e.g. I use Windows XP Home Edition with SP3 installed. When I need a file I click the START button, a menu opens and I click on the area of my PC that the file I wish to open is in. Like My Documents or My Pictures. Then I click on the file that I need and if all goes well it opens.

But I don't have anything that just automatically pops open the way you described your My Documents folder doing.

That is puzzling to say the least. :thumbsup:

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:25 AM

If you want to change the default folder that explorer opens to something other than My Documents (I don't use it either), see if this will do it for you:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...ningfolder.mspx

Here is another article:

http://www.watchingthenet.com/how-to-chang...-and-vista.html

You can adjust it however you want.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 patchfree

patchfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:42 AM

Sorry if the most of you have some difficulties to understand what I means: this is because of my bad english and to the different naming in the french version of WinXP. My apologies...

But it seems that Joseibara has finally well understand my problem. Thank a lot to him and to all of you for reading me.

I'll post again if I have difficulties with the provided links.

Patch

#6 patchfree

patchfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:54 AM

If you want to change the default folder that explorer opens to something other than My Documents (I don't use it either), see if this will do it for you:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...ningfolder.mspx

Here is another article:

http://www.watchingthenet.com/how-to-chang...-and-vista.html

You can adjust it however you want.

Thanks Joseibarra. Your links are perfectly useful. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users