Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

----- RAM Question -------

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trent

trent

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 01 August 2005 - 02:21 PM

I have a new Toshiba Satellite A75-S211 notebook. Before I purchased it, I told myself I would not settle for a slow machine. Though this does meet my requirements, (with a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 processor, 512 Static Ram, and 60 GB Hard Driveg -- 14.5 gb of that is used at the moment), I wanted to know if I could add RAM to make it run faster?

I have two slots, so this also brings the question, would having one large RAM card (1024 mb) run significantly faster than two 512 mb cards?

I am not looking to game or even handle high quality imaging software. I am a college student that is just big on having a computer that is at its optimal performance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikex

mikex

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:30 PM

Adding more ram would give some increase in speed. I would say 1 large or 2 smaller sticks would make no difference. I don't know for sure.

To keep your speed keep you machine free of applications loading on startup, google is your friend.

I have XP Pro running on a 700 duron with 256 megs of ram. Had 128 for a while.

Keep it clean.

M

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:59 AM

Increased RAM will make multitasking a bit easier, especially if you are writing that long term paper and want to check a fact on the Net and download a file at the same time. There would be no noticeable difference between one large stick and two smaller ones, but if you have two smaller ones, if one goes bad, you can still function.
Doing routine maintenance, including defragging, and keeping your hard drive lean will also improve performance.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users