Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't read DVD-r/+r

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 raf96

raf96

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:50 PM

Hi guys.
Let me start by telling you that I have googled my problem (and it seems to be quite common), and I have read probably over hundred posts... None of them offer any reasonable solutions.

So... lets describe the problem...

My computer, (nothing has really changed since then) was used to create back up DVD of some data (it was a set of e-books). I remember clearly that after I have burnt that DVD I was able to put it back and read it properly.
Now, when I insert that DVD into my drive, my PC hangs up untill I take out the disk. I hear sounds from the drive that it tries to read it, but nothing is being found. Also blank DVD's are not being accepted either.

Some specs...

I'm running XP pro sp3
all updates are done.
DVD drive- LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1H
I have two of them and they are capable of reading/writing every kind of DVD.

What I have tried...
Firmware is updated.
Failure of the drives is unlikely since I have two of them with exact same issue.
Uninstaling both drives in manager didn't do squat.
Running in a safe mode, didn't do squat.
Deleting upper and lower filters from the registry... didn't help either.
Tried some programs like CDRoller... nothing.
I don't think I ever used any ROXIO software, unless i'm unaware, but if so, how can I check it?

So do you know what could it be?

I was thinking, if virtual drives could have something to do with it. I have several programs that give me an option to create those. I have deamon tools, Poweriso, magic iso, ultra iso, Nero. The only virtual drive that is enabled comes from Deamon tools.
Burning software I use the most is NERO.

Here is the curious thing... few weeks ago I was able to burn one Disc Image somehow... could't read it afterwords, but it did burn ok (same type of disk I might add), I'm trying to repeat this right now (just burn it) but it says that the drive is empty.

One more peculiar thing...

There is no disks in neither of my drives, right? When I click on the E: drive it opens explorer like it would be an empty folder or disk, but when I click on F: drive, I get a message "Please insert a disk into drive F:"

I mean WTF?

Guys, you've been helpful to me before, so I'm hoping you can resolve this issue as well... You're my only hope.
Thanks a lot in advance, cause I know if anyone can help me, it's You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:22 PM

Search the registry for Roxio, if you're not sure.

Read the post in the following link

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=37322

I've used this tool in the past to cleanup Roxio 7.5 and Roxio 9
without problems.

You still have to delete Roxio entries from the registry, if
you're comfortable with that.

Should be something like

MyComputer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Roxio

I also had to remove Sonic in the same list, but I don't know if
you use Sonic for something else.

I do know that Roxio and Nero can conflict and perhaps Nero
doesn't like other burners, for all I know.

Daemon tools should be uninstalled - you can always reinstall later.
Sometimes the file dtscsi.sys is corrupted, apparently, although you should
get an errror message if this the case.

Filters and reinstalling drives: is this the article you looked at?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Can you insert your DVD, without the drive spinning up (hold down shift)?

If so, run Isobuster, which should show you if there is anything there
and allow you to recover it - it addresses the DVD without reference
to Windows.

Isobuster is shareware BUT the free functions allow you to
recover data, without having to buy the program.

http://www.isobuster.com/isobusterdownload.php

Apologies, if you are aware of all this.

#3 raf96

raf96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:53 AM

Hi.
Ok first of all... no need to apologize, I'm grateful even for your attempt to help me. Even though it is unsuccessful so far.

ok... I've run an roxio zap and manually checked the registry. I didn't find neither Roxio, nor Sonic entry.

Microsoft help page you have provided wasn't the one I've seen, but it was about the same thing. I double checked it anyway and currently I have no upper, nor lower filters entry in the given directory.

Next... I installed an ISObuster and here is interesting thing...(keep in mind this is same type of disk) when I insert any of the disks with data on it, ISObuster tries to read it ( it takes quite a while) then eventually tells me that it is a blank CD inside that drive. Yet if I insert an actual blank DVD-R it corectlyy recognizes it as a DVD-R blank disk. (it also takes a while. It keeps on reading and reading, ISObuster stops responding, but eventually it gives me the correct response).

I have uninstalled daemons tools as well... still no change.

Right now, I've decided to uninstall every program with burning, and virtual drive capability. If this won't work I will manually unplug both drives restart my PC then turn it off and plug them back in. I don't foresee any issues with that plan, but if you think I might run into troubles, and you advise me otherwise, let me know ASAP, because I've got to take care of few things so I have couple of hours, before I execute my "plan".
I'll let you know if it has worked.

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:29 AM

I'd probably do the same.

I only mentioned the previous stuff, because it had helped me in the past.

Pity there's no 'one fix fits all' solution.

Good luck.

#5 raf96

raf96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:18 AM

well... I didn't wait... I've executed my "plan". Unfortunately nothing has changed.

I've tried to access those disks thru a "windows recovery console", but I also was unable to do so.
So now the obvious question comes to mind... Is this a problem with the disks? I guess it's gotta be right? But I just don't get how is it possible that the same disks were fine one day, and they are worthless the next? I've got to take that disk somewhere else and check if it can be read on the different system.

Unless maybe you, or anyone else have any more ideas?

#6 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:28 AM

Hopefully the more techie guys and gals can help.

#7 raf96

raf96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:41 PM

Thanks again for your help... BTW I took those DVDs and tried them on a different machine... they work fine.

So now I'm lost, I have no clue what else can I do. Maybe that new firmware is screwed up.

Come on guys... can anyone else help me?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:10 PM

If the disks are readable in a different system...it's not the disk.

That only leave your system/drives as suspects.

If you've done the upper/lower filters thing with no joy...I don't know of much else in the O/S that can be done that impacts optical drive functionality.

That leaves the drives, cables.

Try the drives (separately) in a different system, that's what I would do. If they work properly there...I'd replace the cables.

If still no joy...I just don't know.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 November 2009 - 06:56 PM.

#9 raf96

raf96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:42 PM

Hmmm... is it possible that the ribbon cable is different? Aren't they standard?

I've tried swapping ribbons with my old PC, and my newer PC couldn't get past the boot screen. so I've taken one drive and installed it on the old one as a slave drive, but this time pc booted up, except windows didn't see it, so I would have to get the info how to set the "jumpers" up i guess...

I'm gonna try that drive in one of my buddys PC's snd I'll let you know the outcome.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:04 PM

There are two types of IDE ribbon cables.

Older cables...are 40-pin, 40-wire...should only be found on really old systems where components have never been changed out at all.

Newer cables (last 5 years or so)...are 40-pin, 80-wire, http://www.lyberty.com/tech/hard_drives/ultra-ata-100.html.

Today's hard drives and optical drives are all built to use the 40/80 cables...and the drive Cable Select setting is mpossible with the older wires (must use Master/Slave settings).

If your drive indicates ATA 66, ATA 100 or ATA 133...it requires the newer cables.

Louis

#11 cotesy

cotesy

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:54 PM

Mmm :thumbsup:

You are talking about cables now but your post said nothing had changed? Right?

There is a chance you use one drive more than the other, and they don't last forever. I have two ASUS DVDRW units and one of them just flat refuses to read discs anymore. The odd thing was, the drive I hardly use is the one that doesnt work properly.

The virtual drive issue should not apply as they are assigned different drive letters. There was a known fault where a drive could be plugged in and Windows would just completely refuse to acknowledge it. I have a fix for that somewhere but I dont think thats your issue here as you havent said that windows doesnt see it. You did say though that one drive lets you look and the other asks you to put a disc in. Have you right clicked on the drives from Windows Explorer and selected Eject just to see if Windows operates the trays? Theres a chance the drive that asks for a disc isn't your DVD drive at all!

Food for thought :flowers:

#12 raf96

raf96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:42 AM

Thanks guys for taking an interest in my problem.

@cotesy
Yeah I just tried to "eject" thru an Explorer... it opens the drive fine... no problem there.

I've just got a phone call from my buddy... he tried my drive on his system and it did the same thing as it did for me...

So... now it's obvious the problem does not lie in my Operating System, but with the drives itself...

So, is it a problem with firmware, or did the drives simply are failing. If the second one is true, then it really doesn't speak well about LITE-ON company... 3 y/o drives failing? I have a 12 y/o cd drive that still works fine.

I don't know, I just can't get rid of the feeling, that some kind of update is responsible for that. These drives were barely ever used... what? They got pissed at me for not using them? :thumbsup:

So maybe someone knows more about firmware and stuff? Does anyone think that there might be some solution other then replacement of the drives themselves?

I'm gonna update my first post for the stuff I've tried and see... maybe someone will have an answer.

Oh... I can't update older posts... :flowers:

Edited by raf96, 03 November 2009 - 05:44 AM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:10 AM

Considering the optical drives these days go for $20-25...I'd say that there's a good chance the problem is the drive itself.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users