Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

black screen with movable white arrow

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sgantt11

sgantt11

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:37 PM

I have three computers that are running XP pro that begin boot-up, show the xp logo and green scrolling bar, then go to a black screen with a white arrow cursor that is movable--I have tried safe mode--same thing--have tried tp do a repair using the OEM cd--nothing helps, still can't boot.

Edited by jgweed, 24 October 2009 - 12:40 PM.
moved post to more appropriate forum. jgw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:42 PM

Does all of the 3 computers does that?

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:42 AM

I have three computers that are running XP pro that begin boot-up, show the xp logo and green scrolling bar, then go to a black screen with a white arrow cursor that is movable--I have tried safe mode--same thing--have tried tp do a repair using the OEM cd--nothing helps, still can't boot.

Having 3 computers all suffering the same problem/symptom at the same time, seems unusual.
Do you have any idea how did this come about?
When did this problem develop on each of the 3 computers? Was it at the same time?
Do you know if it was after a Window's update to all 3 computers?
Is it possible that all 3 computers were connected and all infected with malware at the same time?
Is there any relationship between the 3 computers? Same owner, or 3 different owners?
What brand the 3 computers? What OEM cd did you use?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:28 AM

If the 3 systems are networked...malware could conceivably create similar/same problems, IMO.

Louis

#5 coldhandedman

coldhandedman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:06 PM

I had a customer bring in a system with this issue. It would not let me go into safe mode, last know good or anything. I ran a Hard Drive Diagnostic which showed no bad sectors. I attempted a windows repair which after the first reboot would go back to the black screen.

I ran UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) and used a Registry Restore Tool. I restored the system's registry to 3 days before, and restarted the machine.

It came up into windows after that.

I then ran Malwarebytes which found 3 infections (including 1 in the local settings that seemed to be attributed to the registry change)

Before restarting the machine (Because Malwarebytes prompted a restart) I ran CCleaner and cleaned up the Registry and the general applications.

It restarted again and loaded into windows. I ran Spybot which didn't find anything.

Internet Explorer would crash upon opening, so I reinstalled IE8 on the machine. Now it works fine.

So, it sounds like there is a Registry change going on by a Malware/Spyware type infection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users