Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keep getting "Secure Connection Failed" messages

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 TopFuel500

TopFuel500

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:05 AM

A couple of days ago, my laptop (Vista) started showing "secure connection failed" messages for the login pages to websites like banks, Yahoo, Facebook etc. Might someone have any insight into this problem and how serious it might be? Hopefully this image of a screen shot will appear it's my first time trying. If it appears, Scarlett gets the credit for the great instructions she posted for posting images.
TIA

Posted Image

Edited by TopFuel500, 24 October 2009 - 11:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:23 PM

If you're using Firefox, please read this article:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Secure+Connection+Failed

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 TopFuel500

TopFuel500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:06 PM

Thank you for the reply. I opened your link, saw the description of what I had wrong and the fix was easy, this site is such a help! Here was the Firefox notes from the link listed above that helped me for anyone else having the problem.

Certificate will not be valid until (date)
(site name) uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate has expired. The certificate will not be valid until (date). (Error code: sec_error_expired_issuer_certificate)

This error can occur if your computer clock has the wrong date, in which case the date given in the error message will be in the past. To fix the problem, set your system clock to today's date and time (double-click the clock icon on the Windows Taskbar).

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:04 PM

Just a note
If it keeps losing time, you will need to replace the motherboard battery
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users