Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Setup Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CJLees

CJLees

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:31 PM

I'm hoping somebody might help me with the set-up of a new wireless network - so far I've tried just about everybody I can think of, and drawn a blank... Some more suggestions are very welcome !!

I have a Compaq Presario 730 laptop PC running Windows XP (with SP2). I'm trying to connect it via a TP-Link wireless LAN card (TL-WN510G) to a Netgear wireless router (WRG614 v4).

When I start up my laptop, the LAN card doesn't start automatically, so I need to give it a 'nudge' by ejecting and re-inserting the card. Sometimes (although not always), this starts the LAN card and it picks up my router and connects fine. After about a minute, however, the laptop just freezes completely - not even CTRL-ALT-DEL works. If I eject the card, the laptop unfreezes fine.

Any suggestions?

Troubleshooting efforts so far:

* I've tried the card / router set-up on another laptop (a Toshiba), and it works fine without freezing the latop.

* I've re-installed the card driver countless times, and exhausted all options with the card manufacturer.

* I've updated the firmware for the router and disabled all security that could conceivably stop connection.

* I've run a virus check (Spybot) on my laptop and it is clean.

* I've refreshed the BIOS on my laptop.

HELP !!!!!! I'm starting to think that my only option is to sell the laptop and buy one with an integrated wireless card.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:11 PM

Wierd one.

When you say... * I've re-installed the card driver countless times, and exhausted all options with the card manufacturer. *

Are you purposefully deleting the device and drivers before re-installing because without that you're really over-installing it each time. If you're not deleting it (from Device Manager) then give that a try one more time and see if that shakes it up enough.

Otherwise, I've got nothing except your laptop and that card just don't get along.

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:09 PM

dont sell your lap just yet, your laptop may not agree with your hardware. another item you may try, some wireless utilities suck ass, so you may wanna try just letting windows connect to your wlan. you said [* I've run a virus check (Spybot) on my laptop and it is clean.]spybot is a spyware/adware program.(and not all that good other than the utilities) have you ran an UPDATED virus scan with a virus/worm protection program? i just fixed a computer today that had similar issues, when i removed 4 viri, the nic and the lan utility worked! imagine. so far we know the nic works(on other machines) , the software is compatible on windowsxp sp2. you may want to, after all other areas are exhausted, try formatting your computer, back up your stuff on a dvd/cd, then format and setup with winxp sp2. this is a fast way of doing it, but a bit lazy.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#4 CJLees

CJLees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 07:44 AM

Thanks - useful suggestions.

I've tried a more complete virus scan using Avast! and an updates virus database, but this doesn't appear to make any difference. The card came with a client utility which TP-Link recommend over Windows. There seems to be an element of bundling going on though - uninstalling the client also deletes the driver, and Windows doesn't have an appropriate plug & play driver for this card.... I installed it, located the driver, copied it off, uninstalled the utility and then copied the driver back, but this still doesn't seem to work...

Meanwhile, I found some good deals on some new laptops from Dell and decided to treat myself to a better spec machine (with wirless included!!). So look out for a second-hand Compaq Presario on an eBay page near you soon....

Thanks a lot for all your help though.

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 07 August 2005 - 06:22 AM

2 more things . first, have you tried another PCMCIA card in your lap? maybe the slot is damaged, senond, i am too lazy to google your card and router, but are they both the same wireless standard? ex:802.11b, or 802.11g? if so, this is a stab, go into the router config and select the router so see only "B" or "G", whichever the card happens to be. this option will only be available of course if you have a "G" router. check another PCMCIA card first! then try formatting. if both these fail, then sell your lap! let me know though, i can use spare parts, i am using a compaq right now! lol
Google...Google.....browse..read

#6 Croker

Croker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 03:40 PM

Hi, I have read your discussion with some interest. I recently purchased a TP link wireless card for my HP Laptop (cos it was cheap on eBay) and I have experienced similar problems. Basically everything works well for maybes 3 or for web screens and then the laptop freezes up. Lucklily HP provide a hard reset button which resatyrts the machine.

I've noticed that the laptop is more prone to do this when its running on battery and not mains - even when its fully charged up. So it may be a power issue.

Iif you search teh web you'll find similar stories surrounding other manufactureres kit - particularly in universities. The last reply touched upon something that I have seen regarding protocol whereby you can uncheck an option in the Windows wireless config application.

I'm still checking things out and will get back to you with more info - don't buy teh new PC just yet!

#7 Croker

Croker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 04:25 PM

I'm now using mylaptop with the mains power supply and there has been no problem. However if I revert to battery supply then the freezes start.
I found a website (www.driverforum.com/network5/) where a guy with a compaq laptop had the same problem.

It was suggested that disabling "zeroconfig service" was the answer but I don't know where this setting is or what it relates to!

So keeping near a power source is the answer but seems to fly in the face of having a laptop!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users