Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer will not boot up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 craneman

craneman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:33 AM

HP Pavillion a744x

RUnning Windows XP

When starting the computer it goes to a black screen. It says We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked
If a previous startup attemt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset buttom was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem ,choose Start Windows Normally.
Safe Mode
safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode With Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (you most recent setting that worked)
Start Windows Normally
Use the up and arrow key to move te highlight to choice

If I choose start Windows Noemally It count down from 26 to 0 show windows xp logo go to Hp logo then back to the black screen

please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:53 AM

Try safe mode...after trying Last Known Good Configuration.

Louis

#3 craneman

craneman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:05 AM

Try all of them and it comes back to the same screen

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:10 PM

Have you reviewed http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...471&lang=en?

Louis

#5 craneman

craneman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:14 PM

Louis, I tried all the steps in the review. Nothing brought me out of the black screen. I tried the last step, System Recovery. I put recovery disc in and it shows No operating system installed or partition corrupted. Press 'R' to perfrom a full System Recovery. The screen then reads Preparing reccovery partition - please wait. after this step, screen says File acpi.sys caused an unespected error (4128) at line 5883 in d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\setup.c.
Press any key to continue. I pressed a key and the screen comes back to red "No operating system installed or parttion corrupted. Press R ...

Rich

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:28 PM

Worth reading, http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:fzM6lm...=clnk&gl=us.

<<No operating system installed or parttion corrupted>>

That means that either the hard drive appears to be damaged...or there is a problem with the file structure on the partition, which prevents the system from functioning properly. Either one is not good news to any user.

The first step I suggest...is to remove all valued data files from that partition.

Then...I would run a hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility on the hard drive.

My experience is that a damaged/corrupted partition...results in wipe/clean install.

You may be interested in this product, http://blog.easeus.com/basic-guide/How-to-...tition-242.html. I've never used it, but I have used some other Easeus products with confidence and success. If you decide to use it...please read and follow all directions provided.

Louis

#7 craneman

craneman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:43 PM

I tried to get into safe mode and any of the other chooses nothing worked. I brought ME back to the same black screen. I though that I would thy the recovery disk for that computer. When I put the first disk it started the recover for a second and then came up that the disk was bad. My question is can I use a recovery dish from a different HP computer.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:51 PM

What was the exact message you received?

When "disk" is used...it usually refers to a hard drive, while "disc" refers to CD/DVD.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users