Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp will not boot with slave drive disconnected

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Raner

Raner

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:26 AM

hi all
Doing a windows fresh reinstall on C:drive but need to leave E:drive which is my secondary drive intact.So I disconnected the power supply and IED cable from the slave drive and went to boot up and no boot,so went back and reconnected slave drive and booted up fine.It is not a mirrored drive it's just set up as a slave drive.
Windows is installed on C:drive but I guess it's looking for the E:drive when booting and can't see it.Boot is stopping just before windows logo.Thanks for any information on this Problem- Raner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Raner

Raner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:17 AM

Thought about it somemore and I think if I set bios to boot cd first and disconnet slave drive I think that will do the trick-Raner

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:19 AM

Maybe some file that your Windows needs at boot time is located on your slave drive.

If you are going for a fresh installation, you should insert XP disk in CD Drive and boot from that to continue installation. (You should forget about old install, if you want to do fresh install)

EDIT:
You should change boot order in your BIOS settings to CD drive as first boot device. Then your connected master hard disk. Put the XP CD in CD drive and boot into XP CD.

Edited by Romeo29, 24 October 2009 - 08:21 AM.

#4 Raner

Raner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:26 AM

hey Romeo 29
I saved all the files I need after fresh reinstall on my slave drive so I need to make sure it stays intact than after reinstall is finished I'll reconnect it and windows will see it.But I can't mess up or I will have a lot of work to do if I loose all my saved files.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:17 PM

If you have disconnected the slave drive, it would stay intact while you reformat and re-install Windows on your master hard disk :thumbsup:
Don't forget to remove both the data cable and the power cable from the slave disk. Do reconnect/disconnect only when PC is powered off.
Once you are done installing Windows, you can reconnect the slave drive back. Windows will have no problem recognizing it.

Edited by Romeo29, 24 October 2009 - 12:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users