Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hedera

hedera

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:55 PM

I have a Dell laptop running Vista Home Premium which the upgrade adviser says is 64 bit capable. If I'm going to go through the hassle of upgrading the O/S, I'd like to get to 64 bit. I have a couple of general questions.

First, 64 bit is primarily for managing RAM over 4GB; my laptop can't handle more than 4GB and it is maxed out right now. (Windows Upgrade Adviser thinks it has 3.5 GB; I >paid< for 4GB!!) Is it worth if if I'm never going to be over 3.5 GB of RAM?

Second, I run a lot of open source / freeware / shareware programs on the laptop, with limited-to-nonexistent support, to the point that I can't tell if they'll run on Win7 or not, and it doesn't look like the support team has even thought of it. Should I (in general) expect them to run on 64 bit as well as on 32 bit, or am I just opening a major can of worms for myself? If something runs on 32 bit Vista Home Premium, should I expect it to run on 64 bit Win 7 Ultimate too?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 _Allan_

_Allan_

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Location:http://Universe/Sol/Terra/North_America/Canada/Ontario/Toronto.city
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:48 PM

if you were to get Ultimate or Professional, you'd get the included "XPMode" which is basically a Virtual Machine with XP 32bit right there.

You could run your software in VM (with out opening the actual VM - you just click the program, and it runs right on the 7 desktop!).

I have 4gb RAM installed, and the 64 bit reads it all, and uses it all. I know people with Intel i5 systems, and 6, or 12 gb ram and it's all seen in the 64bit systems.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:36 AM

In general 32 bit applications can run in WOW mode in 64 bit Windows. But those 32bit applications which need access to hardware or memory fail because 64bit memory structure and handling is different.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:12 AM

FWIW: A purchase of the upgrade edition of Home Premium incldudes both the 32-bit and 64-bit options, http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windo...roduct/87DFFF11.

Louis

#5 hedera

hedera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:23 PM

Thanks for the advice, everyone, I'm feeling better about it the more I find out. I'm waiting for the shipment now (ordered online; I thought I'd better get installation disks for this!).

#6 _Allan_

_Allan_

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:45 PM

What version and bit structure did ya get?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 hedera

hedera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:43 PM

I ordered Ultimate, and I plan to install 64 bit, which means a cold install, no wussy upgrades here! Thank god for thorough backups, I've established that GoodSync comes in a 64 bit version.

#8 _Allan_

_Allan_

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:45 PM

hedera - good choice. I have the Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition which is exactly the same as your's but comes with Steve Balmer's "signature" on the sleeve ...
I had Windows up and running - fully - in less then an hour. THAT included installing Windows Security, Office 2007 (Professional, which I ALSO got Free haha), and most of my 'every day' software. Less then an hour!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:16 PM

The signature edition was given only to people who hosted Windows 7 parties. Did you host a party too _Allan_?

#10 _Allan_

_Allan_

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:21 AM

Romeo - I was supposed, but 1 week before the party, the church was robbed, and the equipment I was going to use was stolen. Then on Friday, I was sick as a dog. And only 2 people were going to make it anyway (out of 25 I invited!) so I just said "screw it!" and didn't bother.

I feel like a bit of a thief but when I spoke to my friend who works for MS Canada, he said "meh, don't worry. We'll let you keep it."
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users