Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overhauling most of my computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ralex

Ralex

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:57 PM

Hi,
what I intend to do is almost a new computer minus the power supply, hdd and video card.

New motherboard will be the Gigabyte p55-ud5 for $219

New processor will either be the i5 750 ($244) or the i7 860 ($353)

New ram: 4G Kit DDR3 1600 G.Skill-Ripjaws $119

current graphics is a gigabyte overclocked gts250

hdd's: 1 500gb sata, 1 120gb parallel(computer is old)

also getting new case, havent decided which one yet.
all prices from msy.com.au
suggestions would be heaps good ^_^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:42 PM

I personaly like Gigabyte boards, I followed a link to Amazon and found that you can buy the board, processor and a cooling fan for about the same price as you are looking at for just the board and processor. Although you may not want to do that..

As for a case, I just built mine in an Apevia full size case from Newegg, it's huge, has 3 fans, but if you are putting in a HDD with the old ribbon cable it gets a bit tight between the drive and the door since the back of the drive is toward the door. :blink:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Ralex

Ralex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:17 AM

I'm in Australia, means no Amazon for me :blink:
I really like that case though, I might dog my ribbon hdd and just buy another 500 sata :D

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:06 AM

It sucks you can't get Amazon, can you get Newegg?

I bought a SATA 500gb HDD for my build and transfered the old 320 into to it also. I also put in a GTS250 1gig video card and so far I like it.

I bought the case because I wanted the 3 fans and lots of room for wiring and cooling.
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:04 PM

No Newegg, TigerDirect, or Amazon for Australian members. I'm sure there is something like Newegg for them, I just haven't seen it yet. Remember, if you replace the motherboard, you will have to re-buy Windows if you are using an OEM copy. Also, I checked out msy.com.au. Are they any good? If they are well-known, they should hire better web developers.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users