Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting another pc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mloo55

mloo55

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:26 PM

Ive just connected this pc to internet by ADSL modem ZXDSL831 but I need to connect one more pc: Is it possible to use the same modem or what it is necessary to get a home network of 2 or 3 pc. I heard something about a switch,could you explain it. The pcs have win98SE and 256k.
rgds
mloo55

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 01 August 2005 - 12:41 PM

What you need is a routing device. I don't know offhand if the ZXDSL831 handles routing in addition to being your DSL modem but it's possible. I'd expect to see multiple ethernet ports out if it does; if not then they'll be one place for the phone line (DSL) to plug in and one port (ethernet) for your computer.

So if it doesn't, you'll need to get a router and connect it to the modem and then your multiple computers to the router.

#3 mloo55

mloo55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 12:46 PM

Pchartwell
tks fyr reply,I bought a switch Envcore ENH908 and using with the modem/router and ready to connecte the other pc 100 ft far away with cable CAT5. Let me know what should I do with the other pc before connecting to the red. Should I configure the modem like this pc or exists any variation.
Once more tks fyr reply
mloo55

#4 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 04:02 PM

It's a SWITCH you say, not a ROUTER? Hmm. Could be an issue. To my mind, a switch may not have the capability to do what you need. A router is designed to assign separate IP addresses for attached devices and so on; a switch, not so much. It's possible that your particular switch can be made to do this but I'm not sure. Either way, you'll know soon after you plug in your modem and PCs.

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 15 August 2005 - 06:06 PM

If you have a service provider that uses DHCP as their service to you instead of a PPPOE account, then your switch will work, but you will have lost the benefits of "smart" switching and NAT security. a router costs little more than a switch , yet has many more valuable options for you to use.
but likke i was sasying, if you need 1.a username and password, or 2.Flat addressing (MAC address) access, a switch will not work. you will have a nice lan, and only be able to connect one computer at a time.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:46 AM

Pchartwell
tks fyr reply,I bought a switch Envcore ENH908 and using with the modem/router and ready to connecte the other pc 100 ft far away with cable CAT5. Let me know what should I do with the other pc before connecting to the red. Should I configure the modem like this pc or exists any variation.
Once more tks fyr reply
mloo55

If I am reading you right you have a router which you have connected a switch to. If this is the case the router uses DHCP when configuring the connection and should enable both computers. In Internet Explorer go to Tools>Internet Options>Connections>Setup and follow the instruction. This should be all you need to do.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:51 AM

well i wasnt sure if he knew what he had, he wouldn't need a switch if he had a router, providing it had mulitports.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#8 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2005 - 10:29 AM

aye, in an earlier post it was determined that he needed a router to go with the broadband modem he already has which does not do routing in and of itself.

Thanks for the clarification, Snapper

#9 mloo55

mloo55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:56 PM

Hi my friends,tks for all, just now I have connected two pc using
the ZXDSL831 as a modem router and then an Encore 10/100M switch with 8 ports where the two pc are connected. I configured the second pc like the first one and identified each one. Here are some characteristcis of the ZXDSL831:
1.-support multiple interfaces
2.- support 8 PVCs mutually isolated at maximum
3.- support 10/100base-T Ethernet interface (MDI/MDIX)
4.- support router or bridge mode
5.- support DHCP servers
6.- support UPnP
I dont know much about what all they mean but it could help you.
Well I have been navigating in internet without problem and one more I appreciatte yr help that is very worth and of good will.
mloo55

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users