Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing virut nastiness from a stick drive

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 vobguy

vobguy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:48 PM

Hi,

I recently got owned by virut and some other nasty little trojans on my laptop. It may have been related to the firefox and the .net framework issue. But whatever caused it, I definitely got it.

AVG confirmed virut and several nasty trojans, the backdoor irc port was there, etc. I tried to keep the network off and radio disabled as much as possible, since the browser redirects made it almost impossible to do anything. Probably everything I did to fight it backfired or gave it more opportunities to infect my machine, so since then I have kept it shut down.

I have to face the fact it is a loss. I realize that scraping down the metal is about the only thing to do - this will be difficult because I don't have a CD to reinstall but oh well that is my problem.

However, I also have a stick drive that I keep pictures and important docs on, that I beleive has also been infested with virut.

I don't want to even plug it into another computer at this point, because I don't want to infect my desktops. That would be "bad". Don't know if there is a safe way to clean the stick so I can get the data. Is there a good anti virus program out there that would make it safe to introduce this stick onto a new computer?

I read somewhere that a DrWebFixIt live CD might be used for something like this, but I am being extra cautious [ now that the damage is done, of course... ]

Now - if I can't clean the stick without reformatting, would it be safe to put it into a linux machine with a usb slot [ assuming I could get access to one ] and take the data that way? I have read conflicting reports on whether jpg, doc, png, and html files are at risk along with the .exe and dlls

Any guidance would be welcome and wonderful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users