Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


Connecting 2nd desktop

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eescue


  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:40 PM

I am new here, but need some help. I running windows xp on an existing desktop. I also have a laptop I am running wireless with belkin. My internet connection is Wild Blue (satelitte) I have a new computer that I want to hook up to my existing internet. My question is how do I do it? My new computer is a Gateway 4200E with a Intle Pentium III 933 Mhz processor, ethernet network port, 2 usb ports, 2 pci slim slots. Do I just connect with a cat 5 cable? Do I download the belkin program on the new computer? I guess I just need some help.
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 mattbirk


  • Members
  • 106 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago, IL
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 02:06 PM

If you want it hard wired then yes, just use a cat5 from one of the open porns on the wireless routers to the network interface card on the Gateway.
If you want to use it wireless, you would need a wireless adapter such as a USB(http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=179211) card or PCI card (http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WMP54G).

My own recommendation doing wireless would be a PCI card, that is what I have had a lot better luck with.

Hope this helps.

#3 garmanma


    Computer Masochist

  • Members
  • 27,809 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cleveland, Ohio
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:20 PM

To connect two computers together you need to use a special cat5 cable called a null or a cross-over cable
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users