Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Glacial Performance

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 3xplicit

3xplicit

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:24 PM

Background:

About a week ago I got up from my computer to eat dinner. Upon returning, my computer was functioning at sub-par speeds. I ran MBAM to make sure i didn't catch a bug while i was away, the results showed nothing. I then rebooted my computer.

Problem 1:

When I rebooted the computer, everything loaded up fine until it started to boot from my HDD and load the GUI, instead of showing the windows loading screen (i'm using windows 7 64bit evaluation copy), it was black. I let it sit for a few minutes and nothing happened so i forced a restart. The same thing happened this time around, so i got up to watch tv and returned about an hour later so see a black screen with white text saying something like "error booting up, insert a windows disk, run boot repair. error occurred because of missing or corrupt windows\system32\config\system". So i booted from my windows 7 disk, ran the boot check. After about 90 minutes, it told me it failed. I restarted and tried again only for it to tell me that there is no OS loaded to repair. I repeated this process a half a dozen times, and decided that i didn't feel like messing with it anymore, and re-installing windows was a quick fix.

Problem 2:

Upon attempting to re-install windows, i noticed some thing very odd. When it asked me which partition i wished to install windows on, it showed my HDD with ~610GB available out of ~610GB. I hadn't wiped my HDD yet. I continued to install windows. Everything went smoothly until one of the automatic reboots during installation dead ended at the same screen i had before with the whole "missing or corrupt windows\system32\config\system". Disk repair again saw no OS to repair so i couldn't restore or do anything. The only thing i could think to do was try installing windows from scratch again. So i did this. This time around it got about equally as far the first time, but instead of telling me about a missing system32 file, it blue screened for about 2ms and then scrambled for about 2ms and got stuck in this loop until i forced another boot from the cd. Third time's a charm i guess. This time around the installation went straight through, loaded up to my desktop and everything.

Problem 3:

I now have a functioning computer, however it is but a shell of what it once was, and this is why i'm posting here. It takes close to 10 minute to boot to the log in screen. Another 5 or so to log in. And another 3-5 once i'm at my desktop in order to do ANYTHING. If i put my cursor over the task bar, or any icon for that matter, i get the circle of death until it finishes being slow. After this, it appears to run fine unless i do anything that requires loading. Example: launching an application, browsing folders, etc. Loading web pages is fine though unless my browser stop responding (which has been happening a lot, about 5-6 times while typing this). Also, if I try to install anything larger than say 100MB onto my computer it eventually gives me an error about something being wrong with my C:\ (i'm installing something right now to force the error so i can post exactly what it is for you).

I think that's about it, it runs really slow on a fresh install, and i can't really install anything onto my computer. If there's anything else you need to know so i can make your job of helping me easier, just let me know.

Thanks =]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:17 PM

Here may be your problem. they released windows 7. the evaluation copy you have, is set to deactivate and no longer work once windows 7 has been released. I would imagine its supposed to give you a option that says do you wish to purchase this now, yes or no? and if you pick no then it locks you out, but being as the evaluation software was made for, well evaluation, it bugged out and raised havic. Do you have another legal OS laying around, say a copy of vista or XP? try that. if that works, then my theory is correct, your evaluation ran up and windows 7 is, being a typical microsoft product, screwed up, if your copy of vista or XP fails, then my guess is bad hard drive and the next step would be to run a hard drive diagnostic test on it which you can usually find from the manufacturer.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:08 AM

<<...they released windows 7. the evaluation copy you have, is set to deactivate and no longer work once windows 7 has been released.>>

Not true...the RC1 is good for use until Jun 2010, http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16843.

If RC1 is what is meant by "evaluation copy."

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 October 2009 - 10:09 AM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:21 PM

if thats what he meant your correct, but if he meant beta then it is already expired. there is a difference between the beta and the RC1. Though, since were not real sure here, it prolly wouldnt hurt to run the hard drive diagnostics first.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users