Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virut virus removal? early stages

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 chezybezy

chezybezy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:04 PM

hello,
unfortunately this damn thing's come back again and im unsure how - that can be delt with at a later point.

i reformatted hdd reinstalled os (more then once) finally ended up with that appeared to be a clean system and for several months i was under the impression it was all clean. until yesterday i got a pop up saying a file was detected infected with it.

this is news last time i didn't even get a pop up, unfortunately i personally wasn't accessing a file and didn't make a written note. Today i ran a windows live online scan (this identified the files infected last time so i thought id just give it a go and see what happened), during the scan it didn't detect any virut variants (a couple of others but the damn thing doesn't make a log file if its online).

however during this scan avg resident shield popped up saying it fould a few files infected with the virut virus. I was curious if it would identify any i probably shouldn't left it active during the scan but by accident i did. I made a note of the infect files.

i ran dr web cure it (this was the only scanner that worked with me last time to detect and cure / remove the infected files) this resulted in no results. i then ran it on one of the exact parent directories of an infected file, with avg res shield disabled this time, again came up with nothing - which i find worrying.

then i ran avg's RMVirut tool (i thought id give it a go due to AVG appearing to only detect it itself) this came up totally clean.

so i then enabled avg res shield and manually navigated to each infected parent directory and the infected file(s) were detected on directory open so i tried healing (unsuccessful), then the next option which resulted them being moved to the virus volt as a power user( is that the same as admin?).
Finally im running a AVG scan in safe mode in an attempt to try an identify anything else that the thing's managed to infect. This resulted in nothing being detected.

i worry that if the scanner's exe is infected then when i run a scan by scanning each file in turn that it results in infecting that file (i believe/ know it infects exe's).

right now i cant afford to lose the data i have - once i know every things clean ill back up to an External HDD reformat and reinstall everything from scratch, hook the EHDD to a isolated computer then try scan again (your advise would be welcome once this point is reached). Then dump my data back onto my pc.
any ideas, suggestions, comments are desperately needed.
Im unsure what to do now.

Chez

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users